Chapter 22 The Right of Passage

Start from the beginning

"And my wife?"

"I dropped off the health supplements this morning, along with her breakfast. I asked her if she needed anything else but she insisted that she was fine and told me to get some rest before you landed."

"That's my Jinnie." Hyun Bin muttered softly to himself as though just the thought of his sweet wife was enough consolation for the situation they have found themselves in.

Laying back in his seat, Hyun Bin allowed his eyes to wander and his mind to drift along with the passing streaks of white and black.

He could only hope that he wasn't too late.

Halabeoji will live...

...right?

❀❀❀

The Reeling 11:32 AM

Yulje Medical Center, 3rd floor, a corridor

He was wrong.

"He doesn't have much time left."

Those were the words that kept spinning round and round in his head as the news truly sunk in for Hyun Bin.

He didn't know how to act. He didn't know how to feel. He didn't even know what to think.

His mind was muddied and jumbled like a ball of tangled yarn, where one didn't even know where one thought began and the other ended.

Reason flew right out of the window the minute the doctor broke the news to them.

There was no use knowing how to comprehend the situation, not when he felt as though the world had opened up beneath him to taunt him.

But this wasn't a joke and life as they knew it was about to change drastically.

Should he be mad? Should he cry? Were the feelings bubbling inside him one of grief or one of anger?

Hyun Bin truly did not know whether he should cry, curse, scream, or laugh. He felt like doing all of that altogether.

He was...lost.

And for the first time in years, he felt like that little boy, wounded by those who were meant to love him; stuck in a past he never wished to revisit.

Scared.

Alone.

Defeated.

They always knew that this day would come, but now that it was here, he didn't quite know how to prepare his heart for Halabeoji's imminent departure.

"Bin..." Ye Jin's voice naturally silenced his unease, allowing him to breathe again as he looked into her eyes.

With the promise of comfort staring right back at him, Hyun Bin finally felt the urge to cry.

"They can't do this...Halabeoji...he can't just-" Hyun Bin choked out before he closed his eyes as a stray tear slipped down his face. "He can't just leave me like this."

"Bin, this isn't something we can control. We always knew this day would come." Ye Jin's voice was raw with emotions despite the strong front she was attempting to put up for Hyun Bin.