XV | EPILOGUE

SKY ISLE — OBSERVATION ROOM SEVEN

THE SCREENS LINING THE WALL GO BLANK.

A group of scientists in lab coats shift in their seats at the conference table, the man at the end drowning in unrest. A woman with crimson red hair is the first to speak up.

"Ivy and Ezra passed the first test," she announces, garnering applause from the rest of the council. "However, it looks like your son was useless after all," she drones, an unimpressed grimace spreading across her face.

The man stands in protest, eager to get a word in. Eager to have any sort of control over the experiment, even if it means throwing himself into the mix. "But, Kleary—"

"You already know I don't like wasting my time, Theodore True. Next time you dedicate one of your offspring to the field, make sure they're reasonably competent," she spits, ordering his removal with a wave of her manicured hand.

The rest of the council sits in anticipation, waiting for her next orders. Always at her beck and call.

She smooths the front of her lab coat, shifting her glasses atop her nose before speaking again. "Activate the second test. Let's see if they survive this one."

"And if they do?" a curious voice queries from the opposite end of the table.

"Well, then I'd say they deserve a position in this council. The Sky Isles will welcome them with open arms. As long as they're worthy."