VII | IVY

PROJECT BUNKER

23:56:32 HOURS REMAINING

I'M SORRY.

They're the words lodged in the back of my throat, refusing to make themselves known. All I can do at the moment is cry. To let out the emotions piling up inside of me. The seething rage at the way Alexander's chosen to avenge his parents. The immense fear of the unknown concerning this experiment. The pain in my heart for every single person ripped from their given homes.

For Ezra, and the two kids the Authority guards took right before our eyes.

Sorry for it all.

Ezra takes a step back, locking eyes with me. "Please don't blame yourself." His voice is much calmer than I expected it to be. As if he didn't just receive the same news I had. As if everything in his life were going great.

"It's hard not to," is the only response I can manage. It's hard not to be mad at myself for not seeing the signs sooner. For missing the fact that Alexander had only let me in on a piece of the puzzle.

The mansion obscured from view inside our glass cells looms overhead now, its smooth marble stone exterior a direct reflection of the inner city. I steady myself, mustering the courage to take the first step toward the next 24 hours of our lives.

If we survive that long.

I shake the thought of death from my mind, determined to use everything I knew about Alexander to my advantage. If I'm so instrumental in this experiment, I'm going to show him that I won't be prey for long.

It's time to even the playing field.

Ezra offers me a feeble smile, falling into step next to me. Sprinkled around the perimeter of the mansion are two rows of the glass cells we were forced into moments ago.

People make their way to the entrance in small groups. I can't help but wince at the confusion and fear painted on people's faces. To make matters worse, there's nothing I could say to ease anxiety. To settle the hearts of the people who have lived underground all their lives.

I let out a shaky breath before taking the first of the marble steps. The columns are no shorter than ten feet tall, adding to the element of intimidation Alexander feeds off of.

Ezra grabs a hold of my arm before I get the chance to pull one of the double doors open. I hold his gaze, nearly falling into his silver irises. For the first time since I've met him, it's hard to tell how he's feeling.

"Are you okay?" His question is nearly silent, but I can hear the concern in his voice. Concern that shouldn't be directed at me, seeing as how I had a part in all of this. Even if it was just a fraction of Alexander's plan.

"I'm the one who should be asking you that question," I protest, searching his eyes for any sort of clue that could tell me the answer. He shakes his head.

"I'm okay, I just want to find Grant and Gracie. I can't imagine how scared they are right now. And I want to help as many people as we can."

Grant and Gracie.

There's no telling what Alexander would do to them if they didn't end up here. But there's no use trying to figure out what I don't know, now. All I can do is comfort Ezra as much as possible and pray we find them.

That Alexander didn't do the unthinkable.

"We'll find them," I assure him, partially convincing myself. "And as soon as I figure out how this place is rigged, we can come up with a way out. Alexander's forgotten that I know him, probably better than he knows himself. And even though we haven't been close for a while, I can still use that to our advantage."