xii | ezra

9:03:24 HOURS REMAINING

MY HEART SHATTERS BENEATH MY CHEST.

My entire body goes numb, my worst fear playing out for the second time in the past twenty-four hours. Ivy's touch manages to break through the barrier of sorrow I'm wallowing in, momentarily pulling me back to reality.

Gracie's on her knees beside me, shoulders heaving in between uncontrollable sobs. I kneel, pulling her into an embrace. Praying that the grief doesn't last long for her, but knowing that's only wishful thinking.

I'm sure losing a twin is worse than losing your parents. It's like losing a part of yourself. A vital organ that you can't function properly without. Like an operation that would leave you internally paralyzed for the rest of your life. Through the pain, I hardly notice the hiss of the glass door and Ivy's nudges for my attention.

She lifts my chin, lifting me out of my despair at the same time and pointing my focus back on the glass door. To my surprise, it's gone and Grant's standing in the doorway, checking himself for any changes. He laughs to himself, stepping out into the hallway to meet us. "I'm okay!"

His classic smile is all I need to see to be convinced that he's the same old Grant. He squeezes Gracie and I tight, reassuring us that nothing happened to him. For the first time since this experiment began, I'm grateful for the serum. It must be the only thing that kept him from turning rabid. From us truly losing him.

Our reunion only lasts for a moment as the floor shifts beneath us for the second time. Ivy rushes to my side, a blinding light cuts through the simulation of my home. I hold her close, mentally preparing myself for the second test.

TEST 2 — PROJECT BUNKER

BLAZING HEAT.

It's the first thing I feel on my skin once the world stops spinning. Ivy laces her fingers with mine, determined to keep her promise. That we'll do this together.

Just as planned, the Changed link arms, surrounding the rest of the group. Two smaller parties split up, searching the desert landscape for clues left by Alexander. Clues that'll get us one step closer to stopping this experiment. To saving lives.

Grant leads the way, a translucent cool breeze billowing off of him like smoke. Just not the toxic kind. Miles and miles of sand dunes stretch beyond us on every side. The unusual thing is that there are three pools of water, each equidistant from the other, with navy blue water.

"We'll have to dive for the clues," Ivy determines, holding my gaze for a moment. A mixture of emotions passes between us, but I squeeze her hand before letting her go, steadying myself at the end of the edge. Ready to be her saving grace if she needs me. As she disappears underneath the surface of the water, my thoughts rush in.

What if she can't swim back up? What if there's something else down there besides a clue? Something that will prevent her from getting what she came for?

I can feel my chest tightening, my breaths becoming shallow and panicked. Grant places his hand on my shoulder, my only tether to the task at hand. An eternity passes before I see a bubble rise to the surface. Grant kneels beside me, attempting to look past the darkness and identify any signs of life. Any signs of Ivy.

I reach my hand into the pull, praying she can see it. That she knows I'm here. After a minute, I can feel her hand closing around mine, a light tug telling me she's running out of air. I shout for Grant's help, standing to pull her out. Ivy gasps for air as her head passes the surface. Grant grabs her other arm, pulling her onto the sand dunes just outside of the pool.

Ivy lets out a holler of victory, forcing a laugh out of me. Like a domino effect, two others from the small groups are pulled from the remaining pools, silver cards in their hands. I realize Ivy's holding three, a black letter written on each. The scenery changes again as I pull Ivy to her feet, my stomach prepared for the nausea this time.

I'm relieved to see the Garden again when the shift is complete, Ivy already collecting the cards from the other divers. For the first time since I've met her, there's a fire in her eyes—a level of resolve that tells me she's onto something.

"Got any extra paper lying around?" I can't help but blush at her reference to the letters plastered on my bedroom wall, all addressed to her. A nod is all I can offer in response, a frog forming in my throat. Grant claps me on the back, urging us to go.

"I'll keep everyone in here. Seems like the safest place to be." Gracie offers us a nod of approval. Ivy falls into step next to me, her new sense of excitement contagious. If Alexander made these clues specifically for Ivy, I have no doubt that she'll solve the puzzle.

No doubt that she'll be able to stop the experiment before any more lives are lost or destroyed. I hesitate at the doorway to my room, a picture of every trap that's been set running through my head. I hold my hand out to Ivy, retreating to my desk. The wooden chest that's been sitting underneath it for twenty-four years hasn't served much of a purpose beyond storage before today.

I drag it free from its former prison, deciding it's the only thing remotely strong enough in here to withstand the weight of the glass door. The only thing that can hold it up long enough for us to escape. I dust off my hands and admire my handiwork, gesturing into the room as an invitation to Ivy.

She giggles, settling into the chair at my desk. "It's not the most comfortable thing," I admit, setting out a pile of paper in front of her. She shrugs, spreading the silver cards in front of her. As if on cue, Grant pokes his head into the doorway, reciting the seven letters Ivy recorded from the first test.

C-O-V-A-R-T-I.

I take a seat at the edge of my bed, putting all of my trust in her.

Putting all of my trust in the girl who gives me hope.