x | ezra

TEST 1 — PROJECT BUNKER

13:54:19 HOURS REMAINING

THE FIRST TEST COMES AN HOUR LATER.

We made our way back to the common room, a group of hopefuls watching us with expectant hearts. I squeeze Ivy's hand in mine, silently convincing her not to let Alexander's announcement get to her. She clears her throat, her presence alone settling even the uneasiest of hearts. Like Dottie.

This revelation reminds me that although I've seen several bunkmates, not everyone's here. I don't know what the criteria was for becoming an unlucky subject to Alexander's agenda, but it leaves me wondering. Where is everyone else? And is this the only experiment he's running, or are we just a part of the first test run?

"I'm sorry for feeding you all lies for so long," she begins, a slight tremor in her voice. She's nervous and I hate that I can't do anything more to calm her. To ease the anxiety running rampant in her heart. "But, I promise I'll do everything in my power to get you out of here. We just need to work together instead of turning on each other. That's exactly what Alexander would want." She steps back, ending her speech.

One by one, people stand to their feet, walking over to give her a pat on the shoulder. A pat of approval. Of gratitude. Of encouragement. Tears spring to my eyes as I watch Ivy's emotions introduce themselves. Watch her finally let go of everything she's been holding onto. The years of guilt and shame. Of heartbreak at the hand of Alexander. Of her battle with herself.

As I pull her close to comfort her, another siren sounds. This time, it's a higher pitch, yellow lights in the ceiling corners flashing on and off. Beneath us, the floor shifts, prompting screams of surprise from the sea of victims here. Frost creeps up the walls, completely engulfing the room before the scene around us shifts altogether.

The temperature drops in a split second, an electric shock running through my body. I can see my breath in front of me, the blue hue matching our arctic environment. Clusters of pine trees stretch far overhead, their branches encased in white powder. The sun sits off in the distance, perpendicular to the horizon and casting orange shadows across the ground.

I scan the crowd, taking notice of something peculiar. For every five people shaking where they stand, there's one who's completely composed, seemingly unphased by the sudden shift in temperature. The Changed.

I get Ivy's attention, pointing out the anomalies as I go. I end with Grant, who's got his arm draped over Gracie's shoulder. Given her small frame, she should be shivering uncontrollably. Instead, she's smiling at the scene around us, taking in the beauty of the snow as if this was our destination all along.

I pull Ivy along, a wave of warmth hitting me as I get closer and closer to Grant. His skin's scorching to the touch, more like a heater in contrast to the breeze that should freeze us where we stand. Ivy laughs in delight as she fits the pieces together. "Your cells must be creating friction inside your bloodstream. Just like rubbing your hands together when you're cold, except your entire body's warming up."

This revelation gives me an idea. I gather everyone as quickly as I can, walking behind Grant so I've got an endless stream of heat flowing in my direction. We identify the outliers in a matter of minutes, positioning them in a circle outside of the rest of us. One by one, they link arms, creating a surge of heat from each connection.

Within thirty seconds, endless channels of heat waves move between us, thawing our bones and bodies. I study Ivy as she takes notice of a lone tree in the distance, ducking out of the cover of our heat circle and sprinting toward it.

"Ivy!" I shout her name as the ground beneath us shifts for the second time in the last hour. She presses forward, hardly noticing the glitches in the environment around us. My stomach flips as we're knocked to the ground, knocking the wind out of me.

I steady my breathing after the movement stops, eyelids flying open in the direction I saw Ivy last. I exhale in relief at the sight of her, willing my heart to return to its normal rhythm. But then I realize there's something different. We're in a bright white room that holds tables and rows of garden vegetables. The only doorway that's available here is all too familiar.

The doorway leading home from the sanctuary of the Garden. Bunker 17.