ten, 𝖺𝗆𝗆𝗈

Comincia dall'inizio

"How are we getting down there?" Jane asks, already scanning the area for infected.
But she can't see any.
"I bet it's untouched, being so difficult to get to. No one would go to the trouble. Except us." Ellie says, a smile playing at her lips as she exclaims the last syllables of her sentence.

They eventually make it down, and it's a tough journey. Carefully sliding down rocks and avoiding potentially loose boulders, they land each of their feet on the soft grass safely.

"Get your gun out, Ellie." She said, just like she had done when they first shared shelter. Surprisingly, Jane had learned the hard way that Ellie wasn't always the most sensible in dangerous situations - her lack of caution and stealth being her downfall. How she was good at hunting, Jane had no idea.

But she usually brushed it off, because she had been like that once too, not long ago.

Ellie did as told, raising her gun, and Jane followed. She had managed to pick up a small pistol on their journeys, but the chamber was completely empty and she hadn't managed to snag herself any bullets just yet. So, she held out her newer, less bent knife outwards, towards any potential danger.

First they stuck together, until they figured there were just too many houses to cover before dark. The town was small, but they were only two people. Two little people.

The divot in the earth, where the town quietly sat, reminded her too much of the quarry. Where the sun shone, and the water reflected it. Where we all lived in RV's and tents, not yet knowing what was to come. Where Sophia, Carl, and I played together happily, like the kids we were.

Shaking the thought, Jane carried on throughout the town. Ellie was better at gathering than her, so she had already cleared around 10 houses - which left another 10 to go, if you included the bashed up corner shop down the road.

It wasn't long before the sky was slowly darkening, and in Summer, that was defiantly a sign that they should slow down. Jane took a minute to look at the sunset, the day ending grandly - leaving only the streaks of crimson cloud behind.

"Ellie?" Jane yelled, out on the street.
Hearing a faint yes from a street down, Jane headed towards the small roundabout, or town square - whatever it had been - just like they had planned earlier.

"We've struck gold. I mean, imagine being out in those woods another night." Jane shudders after voicing this thought, and it's like she can feel the wet leaves beneath her, and the jagged branches scratching against her cheek.

"I know right. Oh, and, look what I found!"
Ellie says, unbuckling the small pouch strapped to her right thigh. She pulls out 2 full boxes of ammo, and Jane's mind jumps for joy. She takes one box from Ellie, and puts them in her pack.

"You're a life saver, quite literally." Jane says, and holds up her hand inviting ellie to victory high-five.
The girls touch hands, and then share a short laugh - filing into the house ellie had just come from.

They locked the door, and, just to be safe, pushed the small dining table up against it. Once they had made sure everything was secure, that's when they could really wind down.
They were already tucked in, laying atop of an old mattress- a few blankets draped over their still figures.

"Jane?"

"Mhm?"

"Wanna hear a joke?"
Jane sighs, but can't help the smile that makes its way onto her face.
"Go on then."