⤜ 31 → heal me

Legolas and I dashed through the forest. The shouts of Maloki's guards were quickly fading behind us, and the soft morning light growing ahead.

When at last we had burst through the thick tangle of trees into the grassy terrain, my legs trembled violently and gave way. I collapsed to the ground and clutched my shoulder, biting back a cry.

Legolas skidded to a stop a few feet ahead and whipped around at the sound of my cry. "Rosa!" he shouted. "Get up! Get up now!"

When I did not move or respond, he rushed back and kneeled by my side. I gazed up, watching his features strain in worry at my limp state.

I was drained. So much so that I couldn't even stop my hand falling from my shoulder, dropping back fatigued. Legolas immediately caught it and as he lifted it to his eyes, I saw blood.

Then he looked at my injured shoulder and swore under his breath.

"Rosa, I need to you stand."

"Hmm?" I mumbled weakly, barely making out his words.

"We must move quickly. Can you stand?"

I groaned at his request but tried to get up anyway. He was right, we did need to move quickly from this place before Maloki's soldiers could track us down like prey.

I struggled to my feet, latching onto his muscled biceps as he helped me regain my balance. But I was still severely unstable and painfully unprepared for when his body suddenly engulfed mine and swept me into his arms, swiftly diving behind the cover of trees.

I gasped, only to be silenced by his hand over my mouth just as a stampede of soldiers were heard running towards us.

They ran right past.

I watched from within the leaves. My back was pressed tightly into Legolas's chest, one hand securing my waist, the other over my mouth in an attempt to conceal my heavy breathing. I felt his own breaths, hot along the skin of my neck, and the gentle flutter of his eyelashes caressing the shell of my ear as he peered through the foliage at the soldiers.  

Why was he so close...

Orders were being shouted among them, commands to spread out and search — all drowned out by the thumping of my erratic heart. I wouldn't be surprised if Legolas's ears had picked up on it too.

The elf leaned over my crouched figure, reaching for a big rock between my feet. He grabbed it and effortlessly hurled it through the trees, deeper into the forest. A few seconds later the sound of the rock crashing into a branch resonated in the air and alerted the guards.

They immediately bounded in the direction of the sound, leaving Legolas and I where we were hiding. And when the swarm of soldiers finally scattered away, the elf removed his hands and I immediately gulped in a huge breath of air and moved slightly away from him.

We both sat still for a moment, I was feeling uneasy with the proximity, before his voice broke through the silence. "Are you able to walk?" he asked carefully, manoeuvring his body around to inspect my wound.

I winced as I tried to move. Then a sigh left my lips. "No," I stated, finally admitting my weakness. "It... hurts too much."

My voice was barely above a whisper, yet he heard it.

"I know," he whispered. "I am sorry."

His face had taken on a certain look. His brows were curled upwards in the front corners, lips pushed together a little more than usual and his eyes softened. I had to turn away from his face — from the look of pity.