Chapter Ten: Climax of Fate

I awoke next to Joel, in a supermarket. We were... fine. We looked up and saw the door to the store about twenty or so feet in front of us.
"You okay baby?" Joel asked. I shushed him out of fear. As soon as we moved something felt wrong, the place didn't feel empty. More like it was pretending to be. It was off. Something was wrong. Horribly so.

My suspicions were confirmed once the doors slid down barriers. Large metal sheets blocking the exit, falling down and hitting the floor with a loud thud.

"It's a set up!" Joel muttered before grabbing my wrist and pulling me into a sprint. I ran with him as we sped through an empty isle, the first thing I saw was the mask. Then the sudden sharp pain as a knife was plunged into my abdomen, almost directly into my scar from years ago.

I screeched as Joel was hit over the head, sending him to the floor. "Joel!" I cried, his movements on the floor removing some of the panic from my mind. I looked up to see an additional mask, that attacker then ripped the revolver from Joel's holster, spilling the bullets to the floor before sliding the gun under a shelf.

I tried to help Joel up but was immediately turned around to face my attacker, their knife covered in my own blood as they shoved me against an empty shelf. Joel seemingly got the same treatment as I looked to my right to see him panting as he attempted to fight back the knife. His movements too slow as he tried to regain his consciousness.

"Joel-" I stuttered in fear, the third and final killer appearing between the two.

As they did my mind realized we were outnumbered, without any tools I started to assume the worst. If we were to die here I want to die with Joel, even in death I want him with me.

"Who are you?" Joel growled looking up at the three costumed strangers. They looked as if they were having fun, taking off their masks. I then was faced with a woman I've never seen before, Joel a boy I've never seen before. The person in the middle then removing their mask as slowly as possible.

Then, Michael?

"Didn't see that one coming did you?" Michael smiled,
"I thought you died?!" I yelled
"He kind of didn't though." The younger boy mentioned, a shit eating grin stretching across his pimply face.
"I know who you are who the hell are you two?" Joel scoffed, the son pressing his blade closer to his throat.
"Do you remember those years ago?" Michael asked,
"The fuck are you talking about you psycho?"
"You should know you fucking queer you killed my wife!"

I was scared yet confused and worried. There's no way that woman was Michaels wife. The woman I stabbed to death to save Joel. The woman I relished the death of. The woman that haunts me.

"You're that woman's family..?" I muttered, Michael sniffling with a nod.
"Why? Why'd you kill Daniel?" I asked begging for some reasoning behind this.
"Why? WHY? You here that kids I think he wants a motive. How's this for a motive? I wanted to watch you suffer. Watch the life drain out of your eyes as we took everything from you. Daniel was a piece of meat. Nothing but a slab for us to take the life from. An animal. And Laura wasn't even smart enough to kill two sleeping people-"
"Fuck you!" I shouted.

I'm not here for this monologue. This pretentious and vapid rant on the ins and outs of their murders. All it boiled down to was the blatant idea that these were sick people. Disturbed and blinded by the idea of revenge.

"Didn't take much to set this all up. Light your house on fire, lead you to the cannibals tribe. All I had to do was tell you the way and you were off like fucking dogs," Michael giggled as the daughter pushed her knife closer to me,"You two were so busy in your own worlds that you never even noticed how I led you to each person. We only had to kill Daniel. You guys did the rest for us. You killed Laura. You killed Stephanie after we did a simple task and fed her a few tendrils in her sleep. Faking my death was easy to you guys never even checked if I was alive!"