Chapter Six: Make Your Own Family

The forest felt ill. Like it was hurt. The air seemingly growing thicker with each minute. I awoke sometime around 9AM. But I pretended to be asleep till 11AM. I don't know why. Once I got up I found once again everything was ready to go. Right about now I'm starting to feel a bit useless. Like I don't contribute anything of value.

Before I could think to hard Joel broke me out of my daze.
"Jaden? You okay?" Joel mumbled as I regained my footing and shot up a glance at my husband.
"Yeah. Yeah, let's go." I stuttered before joining the group to continue our trek.

Laura and Michael had taken quite the liking to one another. Joel was seemingly happy to talk to Stephanie, asking her innocent questions about childish things. I've felt a bit excluded since the family of three came around, Joel barely ever looks at me when Stephanie is nearby.

However Daniel was quick to stay by my side, the similar ages seemingly cementing a friendship. I've never really had friends so this was new, but a good type of new. But something was feeling less friendly and more romantic. It felt wrong to be unfaithful to Joel. In fact I feel awful for even looking at another man in that way.

But Daniel reminds me so much of Ewan, and he reminds me of Joel. As if they combined to make one person. But I couldn't ever cheat on Joel, not after all we've been through. He saved my life.

"Do you want to fuck him?" Joel exclaimed. Shooting his head back. Stephanie had gone forward to Laura and Joel was far enough behind them to be unheard. Daniel's eyes widened, seemingly shocked. I was just as confused. Joel has never been so bold and aggressive.
"What?" I mumbled completely thrown back by Joel's sudden intrusion. Joel sighed before moving towards me and Daniel, stalling our walking by shoving us both into a tree.
"Listen here. If anyone's going to be with him besides me, I'll be there as well. Nobody gets to fuck my husband without me knowing, and if you really want to dive into him Dan I'll fuck you right back."

Daniel looked intimidated and I was honestly a bit scared of Joel. He'd never been so scary directly to my face. It felt like he was trying to be protective but it also felt a bit possessive. However it also felt sweet. Needless to say I was speechless.
"Don't threaten me with a good time old man." Daniel smirked, the title of old man clearly somewhat irritating Joel.
"Just you wait Danny." Joel smiled, winking at me in a flirtatious way. The only words on my mind being what the fuck.

It was weird having Joel be so possessive of me. Seems out of character to me, like he wasn't the same person.

Sometimes I sit in silence and wonder what the meaning of all of this is. Why I was put on this earth, and by who? Had it been a god? Or the universe? Perhaps it was simply my mother and father conceiving me. Everything is so confusing to me, the world doesn't make sense.

Daniel and I spent the rest of the day confused, walking with the others curious what Joel meant. We all found a good spot to bunker down in Camas, an abandoned library. It was old and dusty but still cozy. The atmosphere damp and sharp. Joel and I laid out our sleeping bag only for Joel to lead me and Daniel away from the others. Grabbing is by our wrists.
"Joel where the hell are we going?" I asked as he pulled us into a lounge that had a convenient door.

As if automatic Joel threw us both into the room and locked the door. The distinct click sending a chill down my spine. We sat on the couch as Joel stood in front of us both with his hands on his hips.
"Kiss." Joel demanded, sending another chill down my back.
"What?" Daniel asked as I looked on at my husband, curious what has gotten into him.
"Kiss him." Joel repeated looking directly into Daniel's eyes.
"I... uh.?" Daniel responded looking at me for some sort of approval.

I know I find Daniel attractive but the tension in the room has clouded my view to the point I don't even know what I think. Blankly I nodded. Daniel was an inexperienced kisser, I could tell he was nervous. Confused even. As our mouths joined together I felt as he explored every nook of my mouth with his tongue curiously. Just to the side of us being Joel, who stared intently.