Cold Feet

It took quite a few more months than merely Maysie's birthday to set up a time at the club. Of course, everyone knew that if there was going to be any dirty business from this dude, his goal was going to be Cleo. After a few discussions, Ethan talked her into leaving her gun collection outside the club, this time. It could tip off anyone who was plotting if it was seen.

Ethan, Cleo, Maysie, and a man named Marshall had quite the view of the dance floor from the private balcony. Of course, more of their guards were quietly drinking in corners, not gathering attention.

And it was a boring thing, sitting there, with this guy avoiding business the whole time, trying to get Cleo to reminisce about the good times they shared as she bristled visibly.

Eventually, Maysie had enough. Not like Cleo was listening anyway. "Dude, we came to talk nanotubes on my project--not hers!"

Marshall barely looked up at her. "You don't have the experience to trade that tight little number of yours for my favors. Go away, child."

It was lame, this guy thought he'd get the better of Èdouard. But Maysie wasn't done, "I never thought I'd meet little dick energy in person before. She's fucking this dude--you can't compete."

Maysie left the table to Cleo's laughter and that tight-lipped glare of Ethan's, which was merited for once.

But she was safe to wander off--they had kind of expected it. She could go get a drink from a bartender's hands directly, and dance with people, but any time she had to leave the main areas, one of the guards had to come with her. Damn shame when she had to go to the bathroom, but better a guy you knew than a drunk you didn't.

"A Sloe Screw." She caught the bartender's attention with the order as she sat. It was the only sweet drink she learned to tolerate over the years. He made her two--which was unusual, but as her nerves were ragged from not finding peace in her roommates, the extra shot was not a strain on her. Ethan might kill her as it wasn't a safe venue to get drunk, but thinking about him just left her a mess. She didn't understand it.  She didn't understand him.

That thought pushed her to down them without pausing. It tasted more like grapefruit juice than orange. Just pithy.

The comfortable warmth of the drink hit her system in a heady mixture of no more worry. She was sick of everybody and couldn't do a thing about it.

It was a strange epiphany to realize that she didn't drink to go out, but because she was miserable. This time, the stuff made her happy...which alarmed her a little. Alder always said that if you reached the point where you were excited to continue drinking, it was time to stop.

So she did, brushing off the bartender.

The hottest man she'd ever seen approached the bar through the crowd, but his focus was on Maysie. Her heart lurched, and she found herself blushing at the attention that really should be nothing.

He wasn't going for the bar, leaned in closer to her, giving a feeling of being alone in the world with just him. "Excuse me Bella Ragazza, I can't dance without you."

It flattered her enough to get her out of the seat and onto the floor as a languid beat played.

In all her time at these boring parties, she'd never danced a slow grind with idiot boys her age, and here she was with a man who could be her age, could be twice it, too, leaving no room between them as he got too excited. This was teasing--an epiphany a grown woman shouldn't be having, but it came with a feeling like she had control over him and he started running his hand up and down her hip and thigh, slowly pulling her tighter against him.

It excited her.

He squeezed her hip and leaned in to breathily speak in her ear. "Wanna go some place a little more private?"

Her guards didn't even cross her mind as she nodded and his hand slid up her side and down her arm to clasp her fingers in his.

Instead of a regular door, the man tapped a side panel and they moved into a secret room. The noise dulled as the door closed. That excited her in ways that made her legs shake in anticipation. He began to passionately kiss her, caressing every inch of her body as she whimpered against him. "That's  it, Bella Ragazza, spread your legs a little."

There was a mirror across from them, and she watched as he slowly danced with her. Maysie wondered why their clothes were still on them. Trembling with excitement, she slowly began running her hands behind her on him, when the music became unbearably loud again before the snick of the door caused loverboy to let go.

"She's all ready, boss..."

Her stranger flew across the room in one solid punch. Maysie turned around, wondering who could be the next bit of fun, only to find Ethan grim and enraged with that damn mouth of his not doing things to her that the other guy did. Hell, he was pissing her off, and she was glad to see him suffer for not letting her have a good time.

She stepped up to him and placed her hand on his chest, mesmerized by how it was like a tiny boat adrift at sea.

"Maysie, we need to go back. You can get all pissy after they are done."

"You didn't leave your lover alone, did you?"

"Charles is with her."

"Then either fuck me or get lo..."

In the back corner of Maysie's mind, she clinically thought it was justice that caused her to throw up then and there.  Moving in on their situation, without knowing for sure she wanted him? Filthy trash move that she couldn't stand in others and here she was doing that. The only good thing is she jerked her head to the side and projectiled the contents of two drinks and the burger she ate before they walked in all over the bastard that put her in this predicament--the stranger on the floor.

And then she passed out, vaguely hearing Ethan say, "Oh shit."

~~~

The next few hours were hazy. People climbed in and out the club. A whole sea of high-powered men were arrested and led off to be booked in tutus? Who knew what else these crazies did?

But what she didn't do was make it to the hotel suite's bed.  They had come full circle back to arguments at a damn kitchen table when all she wanted to do was hide.