Book 1, Chapter 4: The Voice in the Night

A/N: Hey folks! Dad's back with the milk and cigarettes!

In all seriousness, sorry for dropping off the face of the Earth. Truth be told, I've had a bit of a rough time lately and needed to take a step back for a while. I'm glad to be back though.

I'm also only human. And I have ADHD. Sometimes I get pretty distracted by other interesting ideas. And books. And shows and movies and all sorts of shit. It also doesn't help that I am applying for jobs and focusing on schoolwork so I can graduate. I understand you want more updates and I'll work on being better about that, but please be patient with me. I am not abandoning this story, and I do still enjoy writing it.

Also, I'll be honest, I think some bits of this chapter are definitely less refined in the name of pushing through to get to parts I enjoy writing, but that's neither here nor there. I just hope it's not too intrusive.

Anyway, rambling over. Welcome back everyone!

───── ─────

Korra slept peacefully in her bed. The moon was high, and the window was open. However, she was awoken when a shadow rushed passed the paper doors.

The Avatar quickly sat up and immediately realized something was wrong. Besides the random interruption, neither Naga or Wolf were in the room.

Suddenly, a chi-blocker burst through the window and landed with an acrobatic roll, followed by two more crashing through the sliding doors.

Korra immediately leapt into action. She jumped from the bed and launched two arcing kicks of fire that the Equalists dodged. She kept up the heat with gouts of fire erupting from her hands, only for one chi-blocker to jump in from the side and kick her arm.

She kept fighting, but eventually, one of them got close and hit the right pressure points. Korra crumpled to her knees. She could do nothing as Amon approached from the shadows.

The Avatar tried to move, but betweeen her chi being blocked and the Equalists now restraining her, she couldn't escape. Amon looked down on her.

"After I take away your bending, you will be nothing," he declared.

His hand approached her face as she struggled, desperately trying to get out, until—

───── ─────

Korra awoke with a scream. She was still in her room at Air Temple Island. Wolf was already up from his mat by the door with his katana ready, scanning the room quickly for disturbances or intruders. Naga had awoken opposite him as well, unsure what was going on.

As Korra steadied herself, Wolf ran to her side with Naga lumbering behind. Wolf placed his hand on her shoulder, and she held it a moment.

"It's...it's alright, Wolf. I just had a bad dream."

The shinobi regarded her a moment before nodding and saying, "I shall be here if you wish to talk about it."

Korra nodded back. Wolf nonetheless made sure to check the room and exterior to ensure there was nothing amiss.  Naga lay her head in Korra's lap, and the Avatar lay on top of the polar bear dog, slowly stroking her fur to calm herself down.

───── ─────

That morning, the Republic City Council was convened. None of the public seats were filled as it was a private meeting. The five councilors sat around a half-circle table; each one represented one nation: one for the Northern Water Tribe with a separate one for the South, a third for the Earth Kingdom, the fourth for the Fire Nation, and the final being the Air Nomads. Of the five, the Air representative was, of course, Tenzin. Across from him was Tarrlok of the Northern Water Tribe, and to Tarrlok's left sat Isshin Ashina, the Fire Nation representative. Between them were the remaining two representatives.