Prologue: The Avatar and The Wolf

Bending has existed since the earliest recordings of history. The ability to make the will of an elements into one's own has been a technique passed through generations. Only one being can bend all four elements, the Avatar. Many view them as an important symbol, someone to guide the world to peace and maintain it.

There are also those who do not wish for such things.

After the passing of Avatar Aang years past the end of the Hundred Year War, the cyclic nature of the powers of the Avatar continued to one of the members of the Water Tribes. It was decided that alongside the White Lotus, a skilled bodyguard would protect and aid the new Avatar, one whose loyalty would be unshakable, will unbreakable, and skill unmatchable.

Thus, an old ally of Firelord Zuko reccomended one such individual, who instead offered forth his son, that he may grow in his shinobi training as the Avatar did in their own training.

The man and his boy were shinobi, bound by the Iron Code that has existed before even the era of Yangchen. And so, now bound by it to find the boy's new master, they joined the search for the Avatar...

───── ─────

The South Pole was often enveloped in snowstorms, especially at this time of year. Despite that, the people that lived there were acclimated to such an environment, and they often had little trouble living there. This was even true for those that lived further from the more central town.

Five cloaked figures walked through the snow towards such an isolated home.

The one in the lead held a lantern. They, along with the person to each side of them, wore blue cloaks that billowed in the wind.

Following behind were two more people. One was a rather large man with a full beard. He was at least a head taller than his three compatriots. If one looked at the clothes under his cloak, they'd notice many feathers adorning his shoulders. Unlike the other three adults with him, he was armed with a dai-katana sheathed on his back.

Next to him was a boy, no more than six or seven. He wore an orange cloak that he held close to his body as the wind affected his smaller frame more. Nonetheless, he uttered no complaint and refused to show weakness, keeping pace with the others despite the age and size difference that otherwise would have lead to other children falling behind. He, too, had a sword, though it was a smaller wakisashi in a scabbard on his waist.

The group arrived at their destination, and a man dressed in traditional South Pole Water Tribe attire stepped out of the home with a lantern of his own. This man was the one who sent for them, Tonraq.

"The White Lotus has honored my family by coming," he greeted before bowing his head respectfully, "Thank you."

Tonraq's eyes fell on the boy. He stared back at the adult emotionlessly. Whatever the man was thinking, he didn't voice it. Instead, he opened the door to his home and allowed them in.

The man's wife, Senna, was inside sweeping the floor. Even though they were in a safe environment, the boy was already analyzing possible points of entry to the room, anything that could be used as a weapon, everything his Father began training him to do.

"Welcome," Senna greeted, halting her chores as the men (and singular woman) stepped in.

The three at the head, members of the White Lotus, drew their hoods down as they entered. They were soon followed by the man behind them, who had to stoop a little to enter the abode, and the boy. They also removed their hoods. The man had a rather large mane of greying hair beginning to develop, and the boy had medium length black hair framing a stone cold face, one that was almost disconcerting to see on such a small, young person.

The lead White Lotus member spoke first, "We have investigated many claims here and in the Northern tribe. All have turned out false."

Tonraq stood next to his wife and put a comforting hand around her shoulder. The couple simply smiled despite the guests' doubt.

"Then you should be happy to know your search has come to an end," Senna insisted as they smiled. The White Lotus didn't respond, but the man behind them stepped up and did.

"Does she have the Gift?" he spoke in a gruff voice.

In response, Senna called for her daughter, "Korra! Please come in here."

At that, a slab of earth bust through the wall and flew past the examiners, much to their shock. The mystery man had no reaction, though the boy seemed disappointed in himself for not sensing what was about to occur.

The mental self-flagellation was doubled by the slight glance from the tall man. Still, their attention was drawn back to the newly formed hole in the wall as a girl maybe a year or two younger than the boy stood in it.

She raised her fist in the air and proudly declared, "I'm the Avatar! You gotta deal with it!"

Korra jumped into the room and performed a small roundhouse kick that sent a little fire arc towards the White Lotus members. They quickly backed away to avoid being singed. She then subsequently bent up a small slab of earth that made them move further back. The Avatar sent another fire blast at them, this one nearly lighting part of the tall man's cloak aflame. However, he blew it away with the breeze from a powerful swipe of his hand.

The White Lotus members were impressed as she proceeded to bend each of the three elements again before ending her routine. She smiled as she looked to her parents standing to the side who were similarly pleased.

"Was that good?"

"Yes, sweetie, it was wonderful," Senna congratulated.

As for the White Lotus members, they were all slightly afraid, but mostly relieved their search had finally ended. However, it was at this point that the boy and the tall man stepped forward.

"We have found your master, boy," the tall man declared in his gruff voice.

The boy simply regarded her impassively. He looked up to Father. The man just gave him a small nod.

Following orders, the boy stepped towards the girl and kneeled before her.

"It is an honor to meet you, Avatar," he began his oath that Father had taught him, "From this day forth, I pledge my service to you. I am bound by the Iron Code to always—"

"So you're the new friend that my parents told me about?" Korra asked.

The guests were mildly taken aback by the interruption, but it seemed Korra's parents were less surprised by the behavior.

The boy, however, was unshaken, and he continued, "To always stand by your side and protect your life, even at the cost of my—"

Korra waved her hands and cut him off again, "Hey, hey! Friends don't talk to each other like adults do with all their serious stuff. Let's start again!"

She smiled brightly and greeted, "Hi! I'm Korra. What's your name?"

The boy was silent for a moment, almost in disbelief at her behavior. Father would never approve of such an attitude. Still, she was not his ward, he was. But now she was his master, and Father didn't reject this new form of greeting.

Unsure what to do, the boy exhaled and stood up. He was at eye level with Korra, and met her blue orbs with his own brown ones. Finally, he eschewed the formal greeting he'd practiced and decided to obey his strange new master's will, as the Iron Code dictated.

"My name is...Wolf."