Book 1, Chapter 2: A Leaf in the Wind

It was a morning again in Republic City. At Air Temple Island, a flying bison lazily glided past the dining hall. Inside, many of the air acolytes were gathered for breakfast. At one for these tables, Korra and Wolf were sitting with Tenzin. While the latter teen enjoyed his meal in silence, Korra was enthusiastically reading aloud a section of the newspaper about a certain sport she'd heard of since she was young:

Pro-Bending.

"And in the final round, the Buzzard-Wasps won with a decisive knockout!" Korra lowered the newspaper to look at Tenzin directly, "How about we head over to the arena tonight and catch a few Pro Bending matches?"

Tenzin was displeased by the suggestion, claiming, "That sport makes a mockery of the noble tradition of bending."

"Come on Tenzin!" she complained, "I've dreamed of seeing a Pro Bending match since I was a kid, and now I'm just a ferry ride away from the arena."

"Korra, you're not here to watch that drivel. You're here to finish your Avatar training, so for the time being, I want you to remain on the island."

Korra frowned, "Is that why you have the White Lotus sentries watching my every move?"

"Yes," Tenzin admitted, "In order to learn airbending, I believe you require a calm, quiet environment free from any distractions."

Wolf put down his finished bowl and added, "For the most part, I agree with this environment for training. But recreation off the island isn't something that should be out of the question for her."

Korra looked at him with a bit of surprise. Not for agreeing with her, but that this is one of the few times Wolf ever shared his own opinion without asking permission. Maybe a change of scenery was all he needed to—

"I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn, Korra."

Damn it.

"What are you apologizing for?" she glanced at him with a raised eyebrow, "This is how regular people talk. I've been trying to get you to do it for over a decade!"

"Oh. I see."

Korra had to resist the urge to facepalm at that.

Tenzin interrupted their aside, "My final answer is still no. If you need to find some other form of recreation, I'm sure that's we will find something else for you on the island."

Korra sighed, reluxtantly acquiescing, "All right, you're the master."

Even so, she couldn't help but stare out the window at the magnificent Pro Bending arena shining on the opposite side of the bay.

───── ─────

After breakfast, Tenzin had given Korra some Air Nomad clothing to wear for training. Once she went back to her room and changed into them, she and Wolf followed Tenzin to the training area. Their path took them through some covered walkways with open walls, allowing the breeze to flow through and also made for nice viewing of the nature on the island.

As they walked, Tenzin stated, "My mother informed me that you've never been able to airbend before."

Korra stopped walking and sighed. Wolf followed suit, turning to face her. Tenzin did the same.