Book 1, Chapter 3: The Revelation

(4 years ago)

Wolf had just returned from nighttime training after a long trip with his father. Korra had stayed awake in bed for him longer than she should have normally, but she didn't mind.

The partition wasn't drawn shut tonight as Korra wanted to know when he got back. Most nights it was left shut so he could slip in, but she wanted to know how things went.

"Hey, Wolfie!" she called out to him. She couldn't see him as it was rather dark. The only light came from the moonlight in the window since he'd closed the door. Korra could still see his silhouette.

They were both quiet for a bit. Korra stared at her best (human) friend for a bit. He didn't reply in an auditory way.

She was about to just say good night when she realized he was trembling.

"...Wolfie?" Korra asked tentatively.

No response, but still more shaking.

Finally, the teenage Avatar got out of bed and walked over to see him better. When she got there, Korra gasped in shock.

Wolf's body was a mess. He'd removed his kimono, leaving him bare chested. His body was covered with cuts and bruises, and his prosthetic had been removed.

"Wolf? What...what happened?" Korra asked tentatively. She put a hand on his shoulder tentatively, but he shrunk away quickly.

Deciding to stick with verbal communication, Korra continued, "Do you need to see the healers?"

Wolf sniffled.

"No. Father ordered to wait until morning. Said pain would make a good lesson."

Korra knew it wasn't technically her place to talk back to Owl, as she had been reprimanded before by the White Lotus for doing so a few years back. Apparently, the shinobi were not to be interfered with, as whatever Owl did must be for the greater good to make Wolf an unstoppable protector. Despite that warning and her age, Korra was ready to blow a fuse at that old man.

However, she knew that wasn't what her friend needed now.

Wolf continued, "I messed up. I didn't..." he choked back a sob, "I didn't want to...but Father insisted. He said I needed to know how it...h-how it f-felt...s-s-so...I k-killed the..."

He couldn't keep going. She raised her hands. Water began to flow.

"I don't know much, but Katara taught me a little bit. I can help with the pain."

Korra placed her water-enveloped hands on his chest, and the fluid spread. It didn't heal the wounds, but she could feel the tension leaving Wolf's body. Eventually, she recalled the water.

The two sat there for a moment before the sobs began. The girl quickly embraced her friend, comforting him as he had a rare moment of vulnerability.

───── ─────

The Fire Ferrets and Wolf were back at the Pro-Bending Arena, this time in the early morning at a training room. While Korra prepared to work with her teammates, Wolf started to study the Shinobi Prosthetic scroll given by Isshin.

"What's the big deal with making me train this early?" Korra complained as she caught a medicine ball Mako threw, "The morning is evil."

"We're the rookies, so we get the worst time slot in the gym. And you're the rookie at of us all, so we have to get you up to speed quick. Deal with it," Mako explained as Korra chest-passed the weight to Bolin, who then sent it to him.