There's nothing but the sounds of our footsteps on the dirt and then eventually over the grass, but I know Cassie is only quiet because she's taking in the garden around her. The hydrangeas look their brightest this time of year, thriving in the Washington summer weather.

This is only her second time here so I lead the way to a specific spot I have picked out, knowing this place like the back of my hand. I've spent so many hours in this place I'd know exactly where I was at all times blindfolded. My palms are sweaty as we near the unfinished gazebo right in the middle of all the flowers and I curse myself for turning into such a pussy.

You see why feelings suck?

I turn to gauge Cassie's reaction a few feet before the large wooden platform and I see that even though my pace slowed almost to a stop, she walks towards the set up almost in a daze. I'd come here this morning and hung up pink string lights over the wooden posts lining the platform that we'll able to see once the sun goes down. I laid down a big, fluffy blanket with a bunch of pillows, trying to make it feel as comfortable as possible. And of course, a bouquet of peonies waiting for her in the center.

Right before I picked Cassie up, I bought us takeout from a Chinese food place and hoped I got at least something that she liked to eat. I wanted everything to be a surprise and looking at her face turn from shock to damn near giddiness, it was all well worth it.

When did I become such a fucking sap?

"Harry..." she breathes through her smile. "This is beautiful. I don't even know what to say."

"It's no big deal," I shrug her off, moving to get comfortable in a spot on the ground. "I'm glad you like it, that's what matters."

Cassie sits down next to me, holding up the bouquet of peonies, her face turning an almost scarlet red while she lays them next to her out of the way. "Like it? I love this. No one has ever done anything even close to something like this for me. Thank you... so much."

"Don't sweat it. Check it, I got orange chicken, fried rice, chow mein, kung pao shrimp, white rice, egg rolls, and curry chicken. Pick your poison," I shrug her off again, dodging her compliments.

"Are you real? Am I dreaming?" she giggles to herself, picking up the curry chicken first with chopsticks, using them like a pro. I pick up my own pair and grab the chow mein while she continues on. "How did you manage to pull this off? Did you do this all today?"

"Well this half gazebo has been here for about a year, but yeah I came here this morning to set everything else up and I grabbed the food just before I got you," I take a bite and avoid her eyes. "I really wanted to make a good impression. Don't let it get to your head, pinks."

"This is perfect Harry," she assures me, giving me a soft look.

We eat until we can't anymore, Cassie doing the majority of the talking while I ask her questions about anything and everything, wanting to soak in and know everything about her. I could listen to this girl talk for hours. I learn that she travels a lot and about how she came from Chicago before this, before that she was in Orlando, and then before that she was in Atlanta, always working waitressing jobs to fund her lifestyle. Cassie seems to take pride in being nomad, telling me about her experiences in each part of the country and I can see why someone like her would enjoy that.

She talks about her family but I can see that she purposely avoids the topic of her mom and I respect that fully. Her dad still lives in her childhood home in Arizona with a woman who she highly suspects is his girlfriend, but she's otherwise a close family friend. Her and her dad don't talk much, but they never have and she seems to be fine with that.