Five

tw: bloodJune 10th, 2022

tw: blood
June 10th, 2022

I feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. The grass feels soft around me. When I squint my eyes upward, there is light leaking through my favorite tree at the park. The sky is so blue, it's white. My favorite song is playing through my iPod speakers.

I had a bad day at school today. It's the fourth day of high school. My best friend Shaye is my only friend. I don't seem to fit in with everyone at school. Shaye made other friends and they all ganged up on me at lunch. She came with me to the park today for a while to try to apologize for not standing up for me, but I know she just wants to fit in with her cool new friends. It makes me sad, but I understand. I just want to fit in somewhere too.

I have a favorite tree at the park. I used to climb it all the time until I got stuck in it. Now when I have a bad day, I come here and lay under it. The tree sits on the only hill at the park and the grass stretches out as far as you can see. You can't see the playground from here so it's away from all the noise. It sits alone with me.

As I lay under the tree I see the light behind my eyelids dim. I when I open my eyes, a face appears over my head. One I recognize, but I don't know well. I pause the music and sit up to look back at the face.

"Hi," he says. He's got chocolate brown eyes and black hair that hangs in his eyes. His teeth are crooked when he smiles down at me. "I'm Alex. You go to Gila Mountain High School, right?"

"Yes, I'm a freshman," I respond. "I think I saw you on the bus. What grade are you in?"

"I'm a freshman too, I saw you on the bus and I've been trying to get myself to talk to you since then," he says, his caramel skin turning a pretty shade of pink.

"Do you want to sit with me?" I ask and he sits with his legs out in front of him, pulling at the grass next to him.

"Why are you sitting here alone?"

"I like being alone sometimes. I get to listen to my music and no one complains," I sigh. "The only person who doesn't call me annoying is my best friend. It's been hard making friends since I left eighth grade. I just wanted to feel not annoying for a while."

"I don't think you're annoying." He looks at me and then back down at my iPod. "Um, I think you're really pretty. Do you want to sit with me at lunch tomorrow?"

"Really? Are you sure?" I ask, feeling skeptical but looking at him with wide hopeful eyes.

"I'd really like it if you did," he smiles at me, looking down at his little grass pile.

"I'm really looking forward to it," I beam at him.

"What are you listening to?" He asks, looking over at my iPod on the ground.