Well I am A fugitive now

Magsimula sa umpisa

A lump formed in my throat. I said, "Mom?"

No, child, only a messenger, though your mother's fate is not as hopeless as you believe. Go to the beach in Santa Monica. She spoke in the water or was she speaking via  mind

"What?"

It is your father's will. Before you descend into the Underworld, you must go to Santa Monica. Please, Percy, I cannot stay long. The river here is too foul for my presence.

"But ..." I was sure this woman was my mother, or a vision of her, anyway. "Who — how did you?"There was so much I wanted to ask and to thank feeling she helped save amara, the words jammed up in my throat.

I cannot stay, brave one, the woman said. She reached out, and I felt the current brush my face like a caress. You must go to Santa Monica! And, Percy, do not trust the gifts. . . .Her voice faded.

"Gifts?" I asked. "What gifts? Wait!"

She made one more attempt to speak, but the sound was gone. Her image melted away. If it was my mother, I had lost her again.

I felt like drowning myself. The only problem: I was immune to drowning. Your father believes in you, she had said. She'd also called me brave . . . unless she was talking to the catfish.

I placed Amara down in the water, waded toward Riptide, and grabbed it by the hilt. The Chimera might still be up there with its snaky, fat mother, waiting to finish me off. At the very least, the mortal police would be arriving, trying to figure out who had blown a hole in the Arch. If they found me, they'd have some questions.

I capped my sword and stuck the ballpoint pen in my pocket. "Thank you, Father," I said again to the dark water after carrying amara in my arms again. Then I kicked up through the muck and swam for the surface. I came ashore next to a floating McDonald's.

A block away, every emergency vehicle in St. Louis was surrounding the Arch. Police helicopters circled overhead. The crowd of onlookers reminded me of Times Square on New Year's Eve.

A little girl said, "Mama! That boy walked out of the river with a princess in his arms"

"That's nice, dear," her mother said, craning her neck to watch the ambulances.

"But they are dry!"

"That's nice, dear."

A news lady was talking for the camera: "Probably not a terrorist attack, we're told, but it's still very early in the investigation. The damage, as you can see, is very serious. We're trying to get to some of the survivors, to question them about eyewitness reports of someone falling from the Arch."

Survivors. I felt a surge of relief. Amara had helped the park ranger and that family made it out safely. I hoped Luke and Grover were okay.

I tried to push through the crowd to see what was going on inside the police line.". . . an adolescent boy and girl," another reporter was saying. "Channel Five has learned that surveillance cameras show an adolescent boy and girl going wild on the observation deck, somehow setting off this freak explosion. Hard to believe, John, but that's what we're hearing. Again, no confirmed fatalities . . ."

I backed away, trying to keep my head down. I had to go a long way around the police perimeter. Uniformed officers and news reporters were everywhere As I held amara close. I'd almost lost hope of ever finding Luke and Grover when a familiar voice bleated, "Perrr-cy!Ama-raaaaa!"

I turned and we got tackled by Graver's bear hug — or goat hug. He said, "We thought you both gone to Hades the hard way!"

Luke ran behind him and hugs us seemed relieved to see us. "We can't leave you alone for five minutes! What happened? Is amara ok?!"He immediately carried amara from my arms and held her in his arms like a baby taking a nap resting her head on his shoulder.

"We sort of fell."

"Percy! Six hundred and thirty feet?"

Behind us, a cop shouted, "Gangway!" The crowd parted, and a couple of paramedics hustled out, rolling a woman on a stretcher. I recognized her immediately as the mother of the little boy who'd been on the observation deck. She was saying, "And then this huge dog, this huge fire-breathing Chihuahua!"

"Okay, ma'am," the paramedic said. "Just calm down. Your family is fine. The medication is starting to kick in."

"I'm not crazy! These kids jumped out of the hole and the monster disappeared." Then she saw me. "There he is! That's the boy and that girl!"

I turned quickly and pulled the group after me. We disappeared into the crowd."What's going on?" Luke demanded as Ship barks nervously as Grover held him and Amara's backpack. "Was she talking about the Chihuahua on the elevator?"

I told them the whole story of the Chimera, Echidna, my high-dive act with Amara, and the underwater lady's message.

"Whoa," said Grover. "We've got to get you to Santa Monica! You can't ignore a summons from your dad."

Before Luke could respond, we passed another reporter doing a news break, and I almost froze in my tracks when he said, "Percy Jackson. That's right, Dan. Channel Twelve has learned that the boy who may have caused this explosion fits the description of a young man wanted by authorities for a serious New Jersey bus accident three days ago. And the boy is believed to be traveling west. For our viewers at home, here is a photo of Percy Jackson..and we are still yet to find out the identity of the girl with him. Who is this girl and why is she with Mr Jackson?"

We ducked around the news van and slipped into an alley. "First things first," I told Grover. "We've got to get out of town!" Somehow, we made it back to the Amtrak station without getting spotted. We got on board the train just before it pulled out for Denver. The train trundled west as darkness fell, police lights still pulsing against the St. Louis skyline behind us.

Luke immediately puts amara down on the seat as Grover and I looked in her bag for medical supplies till Ship pops out holding a first aid box in his squishy arms. we open it and see it was bigger on the inside. There were sorted into different types and then I found a weird purple ambrosia in a glass bottle which ship barks a lot.

"this one buddy?" I asked Ship who nods vigorously. 

I read the saying "ambrosia made for mortals by balance. Not for demigods " I open it and help amara drink some of it before capping it.

She slowly open her eyes fluttering and looked at us. " did we die?" she asked

"nope still alive squirt but I am getting a child leash for you" Luke said

" Hey!" She said