Chapter Twelve--The Prophecy

"Duffer?" Johnny questioned. He flicked his lighter several times, trying to get a flame.

The dog's pressured yelps grew louder as it made its way across the chamber.

Johnny finally succeeded in getting a flame, and in its faint light, Cheryl saw her dog just as the animal leaped into her arms.

Running her fingers through her dog's silky-soft blond fur, Cheryl repeated her dog's name softly--"Duffer, Duffer, oh, Duffer"--and buried her face into the familiar gray saddle that marked its front shoulders. The dog wagged its tail excitedly and continued barking.

"By the heavens!" declared a voice from across the chamber. "You know this animal?" A short, stout lady and several warriors stepped into the feeble light. The warriors carried spears and unlit torches.

"Who are you?" Johnny asked.

"I might ask the same question of you," the woman said as she approached them, "but you're only children, and I don't think you're someone we should fear. My, so much has happened."

Cheryl pulled Duffer next to her chest, and the dog licked her face with its warm, moist tongue. "My name is Cheryl," she said. "And this is my dog. My sister said she had lost her when she had to run away from attacking riders." Cheryl dropped her voice and added, "I didn't believe her, but she was telling the truth."

"These are strange goings on," the lady said thoughtfully. "You're the sister of Wendy of Lynn of Johnson, you say? You do seem to be her older reflection. How is she? She must have fled the attack to safety."

"We were attacked again," Cheryl said, "and chased by riders on horses and ugly animals that looked like rats and stunk, and then we nearly drowned when we fell off the falls. Johnny and I escaped a dog by hiding in here, but Wendy is missing, and Johnny's brother is too."

"Black riders and kraks," the old lady said.

"How large was the force?" a warrior asked.

"Courago, our warrior," Fern said, extending her open hand toward two men carrying spears, "and this is brother, Irrigato."

"At your service," Irrigato said. He extended his torch toward Johnny's lighter. "May I?" he asked. The lighter's flame licked the tip of the torch, and with a whoosh, the torch burst into flame. Irrigato tipped his head toward them and smiled warmly, but he didn't take his eyes off of them.

"Three riders and four . . . what did you say? Kraks . . . were they?" Johnny said.

"A scouting force," Courago said matter-of-factly.

"The queen's assassins are more like it," Fern said.

"They followed you to the entrance of the cave?" Irrigato asked.

"Only one krak," Johnny said.

Irrigato stooped toward the opening and peered into it. Courago drew his sword and did the same.

"We are the people of Land," Fern said. "We've lost many to the black riders, and their presence in Wilderness is Messema's doings, I'm sure."

"I closed the entrance with rocks as I backed into the opening," Johnny said. "I don't think it could follow me."

"We must be watchful," Courago said. "Once on a trail, a krak does not leave the scent until it has cornered its victim."