Chapter Three--Tent World

"Please come in and meet our guest," Fern said with a wave of her hand.

"I plan to do just that," the sweaty-faced man said as he pushed the warrior aside with his beefy hand. Between the first and second knuckle on his index finger, a black stone set in a heavy gold ring flashed like the rotating light on the roof of a cop car.

Fern leaned toward Wendy and said, "He's our constable, the bearer of the magnificent amulet, and his warrior is Courago, the protector of the bearer." She bowed slightly toward them. "They insist on meeting everyone who comes to our village."

The warrior placed himself in the doorway and held his spear across his chest.

"Exactly," the constable said. He marched up to Wendy and pushed her hair off her forehead. The light, pulsating from the ring so close to her face, caused her to blink, and his bushy eyebrows formed an unbroken line above his watery eyes as he looked down at her. "Aren't you a strange one," he said. "What's your name?"

"Wendy of Lynn of Johnson," Fern said without hesitation.

"I asked the girl," the constable said. "Not you."

"So you did," Fern said.

"Wendy of Lynn, huh? I never heard of you. And where on Tent is Lynn?" he asked.

"I . . . I live in Wheeling," Wendy offered. "Wheeling, West Virginia. I live with my dad, mom, and sister."

"I don't know Wheeling," the constable said, shaking his head. His long braids whipped from side to side. "All very extraordinary. Very extraordinary indeed."

"I doubt it's extraordinary at all," Fern said. "She's simply been displaced like the rest of us. She may be an orphan."

"Oh, I'm not!" Wendy exclaimed. "Everyone was okay when I left. There was this terrible storm . . . ."

"See," Fern interrupted, "what did I tell you?"

"Well, very possible," the constable said. "The storms are moving into Wilderness. I suspect we'll see more refugees here now that Messema's forces are coming."

"I'm afraid so," Fern said. She shook her head. "I just hope we can hold out."

"I don't understand," Wendy said.

"You're young," the constable said. "You're not supposed to understand." He turned abruptly and left the house. The warrior followed, slamming the door behind him.

"You'll have to pardon him," Fern said. "Our leaders have a lot to worry about. I'm afraid terrible events have befallen us, and perhaps there are still more to come." She patted her head with both hands and added: "I've such a headache. Please excuse me. I think I'll lie down for a while."

Fern ascended the ladder and disappeared into the loft. Wind slid off of her chair and moved to the hearth.

"I don't understand what's going on," Wendy said as she followed Wind across the room. "One moment I was under a tent, and a storm was shaking my house and the next moment I'm here. And I don't know where here is."

"You're on Tent World," Wind Whispered. "My people and I are from the enslaved country of Land. There aren't many of us who are still free. My family was killed by a storm conjured by Messema, and our spies tell us she's even now seeking us."

"Can't something be done?" Wendy asked. "I saw warriors."

"We have too few," Wind said. "Most of our men have lost their height due to age."