Chapter 6 - All of Us Are Dead

"I thought they liked violence?" Pom jumped at the way a voice sounded inside her head

"I thought they liked violence?" Pom jumped at the way a voice sounded inside her head. They were nearing a more populated area, so the dull hum of a crowd was audible, but this was a familiar voice, and a very singular one. Contrary to popular belief, vampires couldn't read minds, they could only predict very well after years of studying human behavior. Pom looked around, alarmed at the prospect of some mortal doing something sinister to her. Then she caught Bri making eye contact with her. "Yeah, Pomley it's me," Bri spoke in her head again. "Don't worry, I can't read your mind, I can only share my thoughts with you like this when I want to. Is this okay?"

Pom nodded, albeit a little too excitedly. She made a mental note to be more discreet.

"I noticed you don't like to have anyone crowding your space except Daomir. I figured this would be a safer way to talk to you rather than whispering while trying to maintain my distance and attracting even more attention."

Pom giggled softly and flashed a quick thumbs-up.

"Yay! Alrighty then. So, uh, I was asking if you too, like me, thought that the zombies liked violence…"

Pom nodded, a little uncertain to stereotype an entire group of undead. But yeah, she did believe the zombies were more prone to be impulsive and violent.

"But out of all of us, Rel was the first one to want to stop this war," Bri pondered. "Doesn't fit, no?"

With a little shrug, Pom looked at Bri again and their eyes met. She didn't know what she wanted to convey, but she hoped Bri would get it in any case. Earlier, she didn't want Bri to favor Rel but now she felt protective of Rel. Pom was ready to defend her zombie friend at any cost to Bri. But she didn't want to assume the worst of the siren either.

"Anyway, they're kinda cool and brave that way, I guess," Bri smiled. "From as much as I gathered, they're the biggest reason Ela could make it back to Tia. They're nice."

Pom smiled back at that. It was true, Rel seemed to be as impulsive and tactless as zombies went, but they could also be kind and helpful when needed. Pom glanced up at the zombie who was walking at Dao's side, quiet concentration on their face as they tracked the smell and sound of the angry crowd they seemed to be approaching. Nobody had to fit in any category, that was the good part of being undead.

"We're getting close," Pom said aloud to warn everyone as the stench of the undead, the sweet odor of humans and their collective clamor began to attack her senses. "What's the plan?"

Dao thought for a moment. "We need more intel. He looked up at Hegluf, the poltergeist who had accompanied them from the Sonarpur social club, and asked, "Preferably a formless spirit since they could gather information from the human side without getting noticed. Hegluf?"

"Be back in ten minutes," Hegluf mocked a salute and left immediately.

Dao continued, "And we'll need some non-fatal but effective weapons. Like smoke screens, tear gas, or maybe high pitch sounds, you know? Just to deter the two groups from facing off."