"Yes, Sergio."

"I'm reporting in for my dad today."

"Go on," I said with a curt nod. Schipper had asked for the day off to take care of some personal business, and I knew that his son was more than capable.

Sergio cleared his throat before speaking. "First off, the new guards we hired are doing a great job. They're highly trained and experienced, and they've been vigilant throughout the day. I've been keeping an eye on them, and they're following our instructions to the letter."

I nodded, relieved to hear that the new guards were proving to be reliable. "Good. That's what we need. We can't afford any slip-ups."

Determination flashed in Sergio's hazel eyes as he continued, his voice steady and professional. "As for the surveillance routine, it's been running smoothly. We've been monitoring the feeds from all the cameras, and there haven't been any suspicious activities or unauthorized individuals near the property. It's been quiet all day."

"That's excellent news, Sergio, but we can't let our guards down, though. Keep a close eye on those feeds and let me know immediately if anything seems out of the ordinary."

"Absolutely, boss" He nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "You can count on me."

A sense of reassurance washed over me. "Good. You know that Carla's important to me and I want her safe at all times. Once she's inside the house, I want you to personally oversee her security. Don't leave anything to chance. I don't want anything happening to her."

Sergio's face lit up with determination. "You have my word, boss. I won't let anything happen to her."

I nodded, acknowledging Sergio's commitment. "Good. I trust your father, and you by extension. Keep a close eye on her, and if there's any sign of trouble, take immediate action. Don't hesitate to call for backup if needed."

Sergio's spine straightened. "Yes, Boss."

"Dante."

"Yes, sir. You can count on me to protect her with everything I have."

I smiled, appreciating his dedication. "I know you will, Sergio. Now, get back out there and continue doing what you do best."

I watched him go, grateful for his loyalty and the reassurance he provided. Still, a small part of me couldn't shake off the worry. Protecting those close to us was always a different kind of challenge, one that required an extra level of vigilance and resolve.

Behind me, I heard the sound of soft feet approaching. I closed the front door and saw Carla pause in the hallway before stalking toward the kitchen.

I swallowed and followed her.

Last night after our argument, I had avoided going to bed until early morning. A first for us, but I was so angry with Carla for not seeing that her safety was the highest on my priority list.

She looked so good wearing black shorts and an orange tank top with the buttons undone. Instead of her usual bun, her hair was free, her afro framing her delicate face.

I watched the way she moved around the kitchen, putting on the kettle, and grabbing a mug out of the cabinet.

"Hungry, cariño?"

Carla turned to face me, her eyes still holding a hint of frustration from our argument the night before. She leaned against the kitchen counter, her body language guarded yet alluring.

"No. Don't have much of an appetite."

"You should eat something. I'll cook."

"It's okay, I'm really not hungry. I'll eat later." She took a teabag out of the tea box and then turned her gaze toward the kettle that was now almost at a boiling point.