Chapter 27; Lucy and the Baron make a glorious plan indeed

Lucy hardly noticed when the world had shifted from the deadlands of the carnival, back to the mortal world. For all she felt was the light of the morning sun upon her cheeks, and Edward's hand still clasped around her own.

Together they stood at the edge of a ravine, dangerously close to its edge-- placed just moments before what would have been the Baron's death. And this time... Lucy did not let go.

With cautioned steps they backed away. Slumping down upon a grassy knoll not far from the cliff's edge, sighs of relief and groans of weary bones finally made to rest escaping their lips.

"Well..." Edward said suddenly, breaking the enchanting silence. "What do we do now?"

"Stay away from the ravine would be my first choice."

"Yes, but uh, that is to say, what are we meant to do from here?"

"You mean about--"

"Our marriage, yes."

Sitting up slightly, Lucy peered back at him. "Do you want to marry me?"

"I suppose an equally pressing question would be if you wish to marry me?"

"We hardly know each other."

"Yet surely we've bonded in some way throughout the night of the carnival."

"A single night is not a good enough reason to get married, you oaf."

A laugh burst from Edward's lips then, bringing upon him the first genuine smile Lucy had seen. Something warm and soft that appeared to welcome her in. "Perhaps we ought to wait then."

She found herself returning his smile. "Our grandmothers shall not be pleased."

"Yes, well, they're not the ones getting married, are they?"

And thus, a plan was made, a future formed right where Lucy had thought it had all been lost. For though their night had ended, they had a thousand dawns yet to come.

                                                               ..............................................