The middle of the week is always the slowest, the time being just after two in the big apple.

     I'm impatiently waiting in a local coffee shop set to meet with my future supervisor, fingers crossed. One could say I was pretty nervous by the way my hands are rubbing against my bare knees.

God knows how hard I worked for this internship, I just hope it goes the way I always dreamed. You know having such ambition as a female in this line of work, is greatly frowned upon, I vow to change that.

"You must be Amina Martin." I froze in my seat at the sound of my name. Who I'm guessing is Elliot takes the seat adjacent from me.

"H-hello I'm— I mean yes, Amina Martin." I held my hand out a little startled. He simply just stared at me before speaking again, I awkwardly placed my hand back on my lap.

"Listen, I got 5 minutes before I have to go so I'm going to make this quick. Congratulations, you got the internship at Bayard private investment banking, you'll be 1 out of 8 students learning from one of the best financial branches in the country. It is a 6 month term of dedication and learning. At the end of this, one will be granted a opportunity to fill the empty chair to a private major project involving other billion dollar companies, and a $50,000 reimbursement for student loans, any questions?"

I couldn't speak, if mother can see me now. I've missed out on so much to get my career, I was taught work first then your life will fall into place. Working was all I ever known, that's all my father ever did until it drove him into the ground.

"I-I accept the offer, thank you so much." I smiled as I thought to stick my hand out again, but that quick he only chuckled at me raising to his full height buttoning his suit jacket.

"You seem like a nice girl with a bubbly personality, I'm curious as to why finance is your passion? I've seen so many with their head full of ambition until it's at the pit of their stomach." He looked down at me. 

My smile slowly faded, I gulped, "It's not my intention sir I'm ju-,"

"A tip just stick to the book, first day is next Monday at eight o'clock be prepared and be on time Ms Martin. Lastly, welcome to the team." I happily nodded quickly in response.

Next thing I knew he was out the door, I couldn't help my enjoyment of the good news. I wiggled in my seat full of joy, but it wasn't enough to get rid off his vague last words that left me a tiny bit anxious.

My father always convinced me that all you'll ever have is your career and your family, so you must work to support them. I was the only child, with just a small handful of friends. I guess that makes me a loner, and not even by choice but I learned to fill that void with books.

Monday is the start of everything my father ever wanted for me, I have to make him proud.

A few days later ...

"Welcome to Bayard, I'm CEO Luke Bayard as most of you know my great grandfather started this business a long time ago—," I began to tune him out as we stood at the receptionist desk looking around the first floor of this building. It's busy a lot of people moving at such a pace in and out of the doors.