Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Then we better get our plan in motion," Steve said, texting Shuri to get her on board.

James nodded. "This is actually happening."

"I want to shower and change - do you want to do the same?" Steve asked once he finished his text. "We can trade off watching Grant."

"That'll be fine," he answered, but gave Steve a smirk. "Although I wish I could join you."

Steve nearly blushed as he got up off of the floor. "We'll connect tonight, I'm sure," he replied, taking the few steps towards James to lean down and press a kiss against his lips.

James responded instantly. It had been a while for all of them. "Only if Grant stays asleep."

"We'll see what we can do," Steve replied, taking another moment to steal a second kiss before he began past Bucky to head upstairs to shower. "I'll be back."

He silently huffed to himself and watched Steve walk away before he slid down to the floor and play with Grant.

Steve didn't linger in the shower, his head moving a thousand miles a minute with what he might say or do during the proposal. Shuri responded to him while he was getting ready; of course she was in! She would lead Cleo to the lake and take Grant from the boys so they could have some time alone with their girl.

He bounded back down the stairs in not too long, a grin still on his face. "Shuri's in. Better go get that shower in, handsome."

James stood and wrapped his arms around Steve's waist. "You know, I'm happy to be marrying you too," he told him.

Steve's expression softened and he nodded in reply. Reaching up, he rested his hand on Bucky's face. "We finally get to love out loud," he smiled.

"Very loud," he grinned before resting his forehead against Steve's.

"It's on our terms now," Steve replied, his strong hands holding Bucky's waist. He closed the distance and kissed the other man once more solidly. "Now let's get our girl."

James smiled. "Watch the baby and I'll be back down soon."

"You've got it," Steve agreed, pecking his lips one more time before turning to find Grant in his bouncer. He used what focus he could on Grant, keeping the butterflies in his stomach as distracted as he could.

It didn't take very long for James to shower and get dressed. He'd chosen dark jeans and a grey button up he knew that Cleo loved, before walking back downstairs.

Steve looked up as he heard footsteps and smiled at Bucky. "You look handsome," he complimented as he picked up Grant from off of the floor. "Should we head down? We can take the baby in the stroller and hand him off to Shuri when they get there."

James let out a long breath and nodded as he smoothed his shirt. "We can go when you want."

Steve nodded surely and reached out to take one of Bucky's hands. "Let's go," he said with an easy smile. He'd already packed the diaper bag and he put Grant in his stroller before they headed to the lake.

Meanwhile, Cleo was finishing up paperwork from the surgery she'd done in the morning. Yawning, she looked at her watch just as she heard the doors to the clinic open. "Back here," she called out, knowing it was Shuri.

Shuri walked around the desk and into the back room. "Hey. You look worn out."

Cleo laughed a little. "Wow, thanks for telling me I look like shit," she replied sarcastically. "I'm pretty tired, but I'll be alright. That's why I'm only working half-days right now, remember? That's what you recommended.""