Chapter 16 Liar Liar

Start from the beginning

"Because the whole thing smelled of a sensation, the press was all over the place. They quickly discovered it was some super-secret project not registered in any official records. Environmental agencies raised an alarm that dangerous amounts of harmful pollutants entered the atmosphere after the explosion, and society was almost rioting. And what the government did? They blamed everything on my father, denying any connections with his research." His aura turned crimson. "They called him a lunatic and pariah. He was a genius who dedicated his life to improving humankind.

„The social backlash was horrendous. We had to change our names and deny any relation to him to avoid being burned at the stake by an angry mob. But that's not everything." Tommy shook his head and scoffed. "As soon as first people started showing symptoms of improved DNA, the government swiftly raised its head again and extended its greedy hands to get them all.

"They called us gifted," he scoffed. "As if those powers were some sort of gift from the heavens and not the life work of a scientist who they slandered and whose reputation they ruined. Why do you think they still try to keep us under wraps? Trying so hard for society to live in blessed ignorance? Because as soon as the word gets out, people will add up the facts. That maybe the government wasn't as ignorant of that mad scientist project as they claimed to be."

He paused for effect.

"The government is full of hypocrites," Regan said, spitting on the floor. "So what? It's nothing new. Being angry with them doesn't give you the right to run some crazy experiments on innocent people or kill those who thought you were their friend."

"I did not take any pleasure in killing Pola. But she was too dangerous for us." She shook his head. "A shame, she would make a wonderful addition to Rioters, but I knew her well enough to know she would never agree. You though... you still have a chance to join us."

"Join you to do what exactly?" Stephen asked, spreading his arms wide. "Kidnapping kids and drugging them? Throwing a tantrum because the government is full of scumbags?"

"You can mock all you want." Tommy shrugged. "But you can't seriously think you'll be the favourite government pet forever. When society catches up on this, and they will sooner rather than later, security questions will be raised. 'How can we control people with such powers? Can we trust them not to use poor, defenceless people?'" He shook his head. "Then the gifted will be either incarcerated or put under never-ending surveillance. And if someone slips and a bystander gets hurt? Well, that's just a perfect excuse to eliminate us all."

Aleks listened to Tommy's monologue, and with every sentence, she got angrier. His aura was primarily dark blue, signalling focus and lack of any stronger emotions. Only when talking about his father he showed splatters of angry red. But he was perfectly sane and seemed to believe his vision was righteous.

"You're preaching as if being a son of Charles Griffiths gave you the right to be our leader. But if you care for us all so much, then how could you experiment on those poor people?"

"Well, that's an unfortunate necessity. Sadly, I'm not my father and nowhere near his genius. Most of his research was lost in the explosion, and as you all learned recently, our upgraded DNA has certain... downsides. I believe the flaws in mutation can be fixed. It's only a matter of finding the right solution."

"You are torturing and killing innocent people!" Stephen growled.

"The progress of humankind was always paid with blood," Tommy said. His aura did not falter. No remorse, no second guessing. "And believe it or not, most Rioters agreed to test our power-enhancing drugs. Although letting our organisation lose all members is not sustainable, we had to look for other... subjects."

"If that speech was supposed to convince us to join your group of lunatics, you've done a poor job." Regan flicked a cigarette's bud to the ground and stomped on it. "You know what you are? Another hypocrite, just like those government folks you despise so much. You're just less subtle than them."

And then, finally, Tommy's aura flared with scarlet anger.

"How dare you compare me to those dogs! If you don't want to join us, so be it. But you won't leave this place alive."

The woman behind Tommy moved her hands as if she was drawing something in the air, and the walls in the chamber started moving again, creating more alcoves and balconies revealing numerous deviants.

"Keep your guard up!" Regan ordered and raised a blue dome over the huddled group of trembling civilians. "Do not let them hurt the prisoners."

Tommy sighed dramatically on his balcony overlooking the whole chamber that had become an arena. "I hoped you'd be rational and we could avoid the senseless bloodshed, but you've made your choice." He raised his hand. "Get rid of them."

"