Chapter 14

* * *

I leaned in, pushing myself over the bathroom sink and widened my eyes. I began to apply some mascara slowly to my bottom and top lashes when I heard a sharp knock on the locked door.

"Lauren," Will called impatiently as he continued to knock vigoriously.

"I'm almost done," I informed him and the knocking stopped abruptly. I breathed in and batted my eyes, satisfied with my appearance.

All the stuff about Matt cheating on me was obviously a lie - Will hadn't brought it up ever since we made up. Although his girlfriend was still a problem, her sad excuse for a threat wasn't about to stop me from talking to my best friend anytime soon.

I opened the door and twirled slightly. "How do I look?"

He narrowed his eyes and scratched the back of his neck for a moment. "You look fine but -"

"Then there's no problem," I said, cutting him off and pushing him aside as I made my way into the kitchen down the hall. I was pretty confident in what I was wearing. It wasn't too formal for a double date, but it wasn't too casual either.

I sat at the counter with a glass of lemonade in my hand, messing with the bendie straw once or twice. Soon, I heard Will sit beside me and breathe out slowly.

"So, we're meeting Matt at Lonski's but what about...her?" I asked, trying to act as normal as possible.

If possible, I wanted to avoid talking about her. She was dead to me. Was she really so scared of me stealing him that she felt the need to threaten me? I mean -

"She said she was going to be a bit late," he said, reading off of his phone. I nodded understandingly and continued to slurp my lemonade when I remembered something.

I placed the straw at the end of my tongue and began to suck on it. "Will, look!"

I'm not sure if he completely understood me so I tapped him harshly on the shoulder. He looked over at me with a serious expression, and then it softened as the tip of the straw was stuck to my tongue.

He snickered. "You're so easily amused."

"What was that?" I asked, the straw dropping into my lap.

"I said, 'You're so easily amused'," he repeated and I rolled my eyes.

"I know, I heard you. I just didn't -" I began to say but stopped when I looked at the clock.

"Shoot, Will. We need to go, now," I explained and he nodded. Tonight was either going to be sucessful or a disaster, but I didn't exactly want to think about that before it even started.

* * *

 "So, what are you going to get, Lauren?" Will asked me, looking over at what page of the menu I was on. I was surprised he was getting away with being so close to me when he was on a date with his girlfriend. But, I let it slide. The more pissed off she got, the better...

"I'm not too hungry so I don't know, you?" I asked and he shrugged. William, always the one with the intelligent responses.

Vanessa cleared her throat. "Willy, will you share a meal with me?"

Willy? I had to cover my mouth so I didn't burst out laughing. I couldn't believe he put up with her! I glanced at Matt from the side to see him smirking the same as I was.

"Yeah, babe. What do you want?" he asked, leaning over to look at what she was pointing at. 

I was about to barf. This was a bit...weird. If I did like Will, wasn't it a bit trashy that I was on a date with another guy? Oh well, I guess.

I found myself eyeing them as they romantically were picking out a meal to share. If that could be classified as romantic, that is. She caught my eyes and was sort of egging me on, but of course, I couldn't do a flipping thing.

"I'll be right back, babe," Will announced and she nodded as he kissed her forehead. My mouth literally hung open. When a guy kisses a girl's forehead, doesn't that mean he's in love with her?

"You probably should check off spaghetti," Matt mumbled, not expecting to be heard. I snapped back into a reality not filled with Will and stuck out my tongue. He smirked, grabbing the end with his two fingers, playing with it silently.

"Oh my God, get a room," Vanessa complained. I wanted to say something so badly. I glared at her for a moment and she raised an eyebrow, as if to say, "No comeback?"

That was when I realized, Will wasn't even here.

"Hold on, I'm trying to imagine you with a personality," I mumbled, pretending to actually imagine it.

Matt laughed and I began to join him when she smiled politely at us.

"I'm back," Will announced. Oh, duh. She acts like a goody-two shoes around him... I can't stand it.

* * *

"Hey, Matt! I actually finished my dinner this time!" I exclaimed and he began to laugh at me. Frowning, I glanced over at Will to see him staring directly at me. I quickly looked away and tucked my hands neatly in my lap.

"Be right back," Matt whispered in my ear. I smiled at him and gave him a little wave, and then my smile completely fading.

I grabbed my fork and began to play with Matt's leftover food, when I noticed Vanessa was nervously playing with her ice water. I raised an eyebrow and she glared at me suspiciously for a moment.

I looked away, disregarding it, and then hearing the sound of water spilling.

"Oh my God, I'm so clumsy!" she squealed and I shook my head with my eyes closed. "I'll be right back!"

I continued to play with his food, when I finally looked up, however, Will was staring at me again.

"So..." I began conversationally, awkwardly glancing at him. 

"Here's your refill," the waiter suddenly appeared, moving a fresh lemonade slowly onto the table. 

I watched as he stumbled and the lemonade spilled all over my lap. My eyes widened and almost every head in the restaurant turned towards us.

"I'm so sorry! Here let me -" the waiter began but stopped when Will shoved him away.

"I'll do it," he said coldly. He grabbed a napkin from the table and began to wipe my right thigh, where it was the most damp.

This was too much to handle!

"Will, I'll just go rinse off," I said, quickly walking towards the restrooms. I didn't even look back, it would have been embarrassing if Will noticed I was blushing...

I turned the corner, not knowing exactly where the restroom was, when I saw...

* * *

YAY LOL. Don't you just love cliffhangers? I'm sorry, lol. :) Also, I know this chapter is a bit rushed, but that's because I'm currently struggling with Writer's Block. These unfeeling keys just stare at me, mocking me... But, hopefully I'll get over it soon. I also think this is a bit of a lengthy chapter, but I had to get it out of the way. So, what do you think she saw? Opinions! Well, until next time!

 Also, although you've probably heard the song before... LISTEN TO IT. IT'S MY JAM RIGHT NOW. 8D