Amortentia

After breakfast, we went to class. I followed Evangeline, we now had Potions with Professor Sharp, just like our friends and a few other classmates.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the classroom immediately because someone pulled my cloak from behind. Evangeline turned around when she noticed the movement, and I turned around to face an angry, freckled Slytherin.

I had told him to leave me alone, but now he was trying to get my attention again. I straightened my shoulders, spun around, and walked away.

Sebastian followed, as he had the same class as us.

I tried to concentrate on the class, but his stares pierced me again. It was driving me insane. How was I supposed to stay calm and composed when someone was obviously trying to provoke a reaction?

I couldn't take it anymore.

I didn't want to give Sebastian the satisfaction of knowing he had such power over me, even though he did. His manipulations had me in their grip. He could do something, and I would react like a puppet on its master.

"Evangeline," I whispered to my table mate, who was working very focused on her Amortentia potion, but she looked up when she heard my voice. "You and Ominis, is it official? Is he courting you?" I asked, making sure no one else could hear me. Evangeline shrugged. "We haven't talked about it," she said and added the missing rose quartz to her potion. "Why?" she asked, and I slumped my shoulders.

"I was hoping you could go to him and do something... Oh, never mind," I said and tried to work on my potion again. Evangeline looked at me with a furrowed brow and then glanced at the table where Ominis and Sebastian sat with Lyre Grayson, another Slytherin.

"Sebastian looks at you like he wants to drag you into the nearest corner and either kill you or..." she trailed off when she saw my pleading look, but she was right.

"I just wonder why Ominis doesn't get the same looks when he looks like that," Evangeline said now. "Because he can't see them anyway!" I hissed softly, and Evangeline chuckled.

"I'm sorry, but you look so cute when you're angry," she said and leaned in, resting her forehead against mine. "Save it, Lovegood," I hissed, but I didn't move away.

Behind us, I heard a clearing of the throat, and we both turned our heads. Professor Sharp was standing behind us. "Ladies, if you don't mind, I would ask you to return to your tasks," the professor said sternly, although he seemed slightly embarrassed.

"Sorry, Professor," I said and moved away from Evangeline, returning to my unfinished love potion.

I couldn't do it, I felt so watched that I accidentally added too much lovage to the potion and forgot the rose quartz, which resulted in only a slimy mass in the end.

"Ah Mr. Sallow, always a pleasure, your potion seems to have the desired effect," said Professor Sallow, directing our attention to the Slytherin table. Sebastian stood triumphantly in front of his cauldron. Yes, potions were one of his best subjects.

"Perhaps you will tell us what Amortentia smells like to you," Professor Sharp said now, wiping the smile off Sebastian's face. He hesitated, his body tense. "I... would rather give someone else the opportunity," he said now, taking a step back to not stand too close to the cauldron. "Don't be silly, Mr. Sallow, it's your creation," said the professor, patting Sebastian on the back, causing him to stumble forward. He stood in place, biting his lip and then smelling the potion.

"Caramel..." he said, his eyes seemed to search the room, Professor Sharp looked at him expectantly, "...L-lavender," he bit his lip again, "And grass after it's rained, I think," Sebastian looked down.

Caramel, lavender, and rain-soaked grass.

Evangeline nudged me to the side, I looked at her, she grinned. I knew very well what that meant, but I just looked at her with a furrowed brow. "Well, what does Amortentia smell like to you?" I hissed at her, she smirked again.

"Vanilla, old books, and pumpkin pie," my friend said confidently as she tried out what she perceived in her own cauldron, "And you? Let me guess, butterbeer, elderflower, and herbal tea," she teased me and poked me in the side. "Stop it!" I said and waved my wand in front of her nose, I had to laugh.

"Now, ladies and gentlemen, I'm ending the class for today," Professor Sharp said . We packed up our things and left the classroom. We had a free period now and wanted to spend it in the library.

"Eva?" Ominis called behind us, Evangeline and I both stopped and turned to the blond Slytherin, next to him stood Sebastian, looking bewildered.

"Yes, Ominis?" said Evangeline, Ominis came towards us and stopped in front of Evangeline, "Can we take a walk and talk?" he asked, Evangeline smiled hesitantly and took his hand, "Right now?" she asked, Ominis nodded.

They walked away and left Sebastian and me alone in the hallway.

I looked at the freckled Slytherin, he blinked a few times, then looked at me with a mixture of relief and disbelief.

I nodded briefly and quickly walked away before something as stupid as yesterday happened again, I ran to the astronomy tower where I stood in front of the wall for a while because the door just didn't appear.

If Evangeline didn't go to the library with me, I could also stay with my magical creatures.

I hadn't heard the footsteps behind me.