***

MORNING DRIVES never felt so comforting as she watches the redhead manoeuvres them out of the parking lot. His consaration face while he drives was a pretty, little thing. All harsh lines, his strong jaw and his hands—she had a fascination with them whenever he moved them on the steering wheel or used the gear stick to lock in a certain gear...and whenever he revered out of a parking space to get back on the road, he'd causally place his arm around the back of her seat with his scent fluttering around her like a cloak of soft, morning dew drops. Stirring her senses awake until his closeness became too much. Until his closeness invoked goose bumps on her skin and her body to sing with electricity.

Bashful, she turns her face away. Seeing the blur of light pass by her clouded eyes that seem to be lifted from her the way mist rolls back into the sky. Outside, she could see the streets of town people. Somewhere talking, others enjoying the sun.However, jacob—he was watching on the rare occasions when he had a moment while driving. And he thought she never looked so special.

Up this close, beside him, she was as fragile as a bird. With a soft face, small hands curled into her lap, and sleeping eyes yet the sunlight reflecting through the car window around her. Like a halo. A beautiful, shining aurora—and he forgets how to drive, how to breathe, how to speak.

Evie breaks the silent admiration he has for her by her voice that sounds like wind charms.

"Damn, I could murder for a good cup of tea."

Jacob puts his foot on the gas slightly. He chuckles at himself. "Oh, Evs."

I could murder for something else and it's not tea. It's you. Evie.

You don't know how special you are.

She turns to gaze at him. Her eyes are filled with confusion . "What are you laughing at, Mr. Faith?"

His lips curve into a half-smirk as he tries to conceal his laughter. "Nothin' Miss Wilson."

"Tell me, Jakie."

"Later," he murmurs.

She sulks by folding her arms across her chest. "Promise?"

"I promise."

"If you ever forget your promise," she says. " I swear to you I will find out. Even if I have to...bribe you with my kisses."

He didn't doubt she would. However, for now, his thoughts are consumed by the girl. He could see years from now into the future—-them driving to vacations, taking on the world, and him seeing her white gown as she walks towards the altar.

A future so damn perfect, it hurt him to think of it.

And it will all start when he asks her parents if he can marry her one day. 

****

WHEN JACOB ROLLS THE CAR BACK INTO HER DRIVE WAY, the house is silent. Evie sees her parents cars are gone—probably on some business trip with horse people.

He stops to look at her, lip between his teeth. "Are you going to go inside?"

This question causes her stomach to drop. "It doesn't feel like a home anymore since he left."

"Oh."

"It's okay, though. I'm used to it." And she goes to open the car door. Jacob grabs her arm. His fingers wrap gingerly around her sleeve, and she's breathless from his actions. Caught between wanting to look back at him, and wanting* find some solace in her bedroom, alone with art and music. And this auburn haired boy who she can't seem to runaway from even if she tied.