16.

Before Jacob can conceal Evie, Chadwick Nelson—the chief of police in their small town, wraps his knuckle on the car window, and asks them to draw down the window. Evie quickly scoops on her tank-top, and Jacob buckles up his jeans. With a red face, Jacob pushes the window down, and the chief of police stares at them with a knowing but disproving smile.

"Hey kids," he says. "You know this isn't the point for a make-out session. Best be on your way before I call you into the police station for—"

Evie removes herself from Jacob, and looks straight ahead. "No problem,"

"Evie Wilson, is that you kiddo? With Jacob Faith, well, I be damned. My Cora is quite the match-maker. Now, I'll save you the embarrassment. But be on your way now."

"Thanks, Chad—um, Chief." Jacob cuts in, but before he rolls the window up and the chief of police goes on his way, he says softly. "Don't tell Cora anything."

The chief grins and tips his hat. "I didn't see anything. Just a worn-out number plate."

Then he was gone.

And the silence that washed over the two teens was replaced by laughter. It bubbled up in their chests until they couldn't breathe. But before Evie could think of starting the car, Jacob sees her face in his hands and kisses her again on the mouth. It takes her by surprise. She blinks afterwards and rushes out, "What was that for?"

He shrugs. "As much as I'd like to make love to you and not be a virgin anymore, I think we should go before he comes back."

She nods. "Agreed."

Before she starts the car, she halts—and she feels the redhead boy's gaze on her. "What. is there anything else you wanna tell me?"

"Yeah," she whispers. "Just so you know,," she starts the car and it rumbles to life under them with a smile. "I'm a virgin too."

Jacob nearly chokes on his own spit and then she realises it's all the proof she needs to know this is the result of her teasing. This was her reality and by the time they both reach her home, Jacob is still in deining her honesty.

"You're older than me, though?"

"Age has nothing to do with it, my American Boy."

"But you're so beautiful. How are you...?"

"Not having the greatest fucking sex of my life?"

"Evie! Didn't think you'd curse."

"You like it, though." she replies. She sees his smile. And when they reach the hospital car-park, it feels to her like she came full circle. Last time she was here, she blamed herself—for her brother, for her best friend's boyfriend's crash and irigiers. But once she parked her car up between the lines in free space, she felt sheer contentment. No guilt or self-pitying. Just herself.

And to prove to herself that this was not all a dream, she places her hand in Jacob's until his plan is pressed to her so tight, she can face the world again.

"Ready to face the world?" he asks.

She nods. And he presses a soft kiss on her forehead and like an arrow through her heart, Cupid strikes her.

Jacob Faith probably didn't know it yet—or maybe he did–but he is the best thing to ever happen to her.

"I'll drive you home now. I think Cora will be okay. I have a pretty good instinct that she's with Dallas anyways." he says. "Plus, we need to spend at least a day at your house. Until then, my love, you can admire my driving face while I take you home."