Chapter 12: Invitation

Start from the beginning

'What's so funny?', I ask boldly.

'Sorry', she says, still laughing. 'You sound like a bloody Hufflepuff.'

I clench my jaw.

Just calm down, Nessa. Just calm down.

Nah, not this time.

'You know that being a Slytherin is not all about being a mean bitch, right?'

She finally looks me in the eyes. That's what I wanted. I want to see how far she can get. I want to know if she is bold enough to take this game up to the end. Because once I bite I wouldn't stop at any price. Pansy doesn't know me enough. She has seen the best part of me because ever since I came to Hogwarts we were best friends. But things have changed. It's not the same anymore. And it'll never be the same. She started it. Perhaps I could do something and fix things up, but I'm a Slytherin for a reason. Call me resentful or whatever. Once you lose my respect, it's over. And obviously, it's time for me to show that to Pansy as she has been mistaken about me. (Author's note: Play 'So What' by P!nk)

Her gaze is fixed on mine. I wonder what is she thinking right now. Or I better not know, it might infuriate me even more.

Pansy suddenly starts laughing hysterically and looks away.

'Babe, you are so tense. Relax', she says.

'Just a joke, okay?', Pansy raises both her hands in the air.

You can't deceive me, Parkinson.

'It's bloody cold today, don't you think so?', Blaise's question is meant to ease the tension but no one actually answers.

For the first time since I arrived in the Great Hall, I glance over at Draco, and I find him staring at me. A slight smile appears on his face as soon as our eyes meet and he secretly gives me thumbs up without anyone else noticing. I shrug my shoulders in confusion.

'Later', he whispers and suddenly stands up.

'See you later', he says out loud so that everyone hears him and leaves the table.

Just follow him.

Ugh, I am getting quite irritated with my inner voice. I swear it's taking me down a slippery slope.

'I'm leaving as well', I announce and lose no more time. I want to catch up with him.

I storm out of the Great Hall and I almost bump into him. He is standing right next to the door with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

'Were you waiting for me?', I ask.

'Did you follow me?', he raises a brow.

I roll my eyes.

'You are obsessed with asking questions', I note.

'I knew you would come after me', he says ignoring what I've just said.

'Do you call me predictable?', I clench my jaw and get closer to him almost instinctively.

'To me, yes. To other people, I hardly believe it', his expression is confident and relaxed. His arms suddenly fall along his body as if he's welcoming me to come even closer.

I have to be furious right now. But I am not. There's even a part within me that perceived what he just said as a compliment. What's wrong with me?

'I'm just too curious', I try to excuse myself.

He chuckles.

'I know.'

'You're so smart for a reason', he adds.