PROLOGUE

Nessa Black

'I'm your cousin, Malfoy', I mutter while searching for a way to escape his tight grip on my waist.

'Do I seem to care, Black?', his smirk is completely sinful with no regrets.

His eyes are silvery grey, the blue is nowhere to be found in the darkness. The only light comes from the flames of the candles in the hanging chandeliers positioned across the hallway.

'Why are you doing this?', he asks straightforwardly.

'What exactly?'

'Staring at me. In class, during meals, in the common room', he is talking slowly and this makes me even more nervous as I know I am guilty of all these accusations.

He pauses for a while and then proceeds.

'Is this all because you care so much about us being cousins?'

I force myself to escape his gaze because otherwise, I would be incapable of saying a word. My mind gets messy every time our ocean eyes meet.

'I really don't know what you're talking about.'

His laugh is loud and echoes throughout the hallway. I'm scared, Filch must be somewhere around the corner. I really don't want detention. I have plenty of homework to do anyways.

Draco grabs my chin and forces my eyes to meet his as he continues speaking.

'Don't play some tricks on me, because they're prematurely doomed', he is interrupted as a flash of light appears behind the nearest corner, and I am ready to face Filch and Mrs. Norris, but surprisingly the dark silhouette with the torch in hand is not Filch but the head of our house - professor Severus Snape.

He is visibly disturbed by the sight of us two in the hallway at this late hour. Draco finally loosens the grip on my waist and faces Professor Snape, ready to receive his verdict.

'Mr. Malfoy, Ms. Black, I hope you have a convincing explanation for your lingering outside of the dorms this late at night', he moves the torch closer to our faces.

This makes me even tenser and drops of cold sweat begin forming on my hairline.

I don't even try glancing at Draco as I try to elaborate a story in my mind. However, he is way faster than I am.

'Please, professor, excuse my and my cousin's behavior. I saw her having a hard time writing her Transfiguration essay in our common room, so I offered a quick walk through the castle.'

Draco's voice is stable and convincing. Goddammit, he is so good with words, facial expressions, and gestures. Exceptional manipulator. A real-life snake.

Snape furrows his brows and while clearing his throat he mutters: 'I'll accept your story, Mr. Malfoy. This time! Nonetheless, I am obliged to take 10 points off Slytherin for each of you. Let's hope that you can compensate for that with a brilliant Transfiguration essay, Ms. Black?'

My hands tremble from all the pressure my mind and body are being exposed to, but somehow I manage to nod energetically in answer to Snape's question.

'Of course, professor. I will do my best to protect our house's pride.'

Snape nods positively and then with the strictest tone adds: 'Now, quickly to your dorms before Mr. Filch has caught you as well and you get yourselves a detention'.

Draco and I rapidly make our way toward the dungeons. It's hard to keep up with his pace even though I am taller than the average and have long limbs.

As we walk into Slytherin's common room I try to escape towards the girls' dorm without giving Draco the chance to notice my absence, but he manages to grab my wrist and turn me against him.

'We aren't finished with our conversation yet.'