Chapter 31

I was dancing with various men at the ball, trying to be polite. Some of them let their hands fall a little too low on my waist, and that was when I dismissed them. Others were kind, but only wanted to know me for personal gain in case I became Queen.

Eventually, Aaron came to dance with me. He slipped his hand in mine as the music started. "Excuse me, sir, but I don't believe we've met," I joked with a smile.

"Prince Aaron Schreave, at your service," he said with fake flourish.

"It's lovely to meet you," I said as he spun me around.

"Almost as lovely as you look tonight," he whispered in my ear as he pulled me in close, sending a shiver down my spine.

"I'm sure you tell all of the Elite that," I said playfully.

"Only so their feelings won't get hurt," he contradicted. "But I mean it when I tell you."

"Why should I believe you?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Because I have reasons. I was never one for large gowns, but seeing how well you pulled one off, I changed my mind. The color gold looks lovely on you, especially the way it contrasts with your eyes. You have a brilliant smile, brighter than the diamonds on your neck that you wouldn't even need. Instead of wearing an elaborate hairstyle or headpiece, you put a flower in it, and you look more beautiful with that than anyone would with anything else in their hair."

I felt a blush rise on my cheeks, a natural one. My mouth was agape and I blinked several times. He chuckled and smiled at me. "Let me show you something," he asked softly. I took his hand as he led me out of the ballroom.

We walked down endless hallways and up a flight of steps. "Won't we be missed?" I asked as we bounded up the steps.

"They won't notice. There's too much stuff going on," he reasoned. When we got to a door, he took both of my hands. "Close your eyes," he commanded.

"Why?" I giggled.

"Because I said so," he smirked.

I shut my eyes and shook my head. "It's been a while since I heard that one." He led me into an open space, but would let me open my eyes for quite some time. Eventually, he told me to open them.

I was in a large bedroom. The bed was massive with a canopy, and the whole room was themed white and gold. The chandeliers hung in the room, and I gasped at all of the detail. I'm pretty sure that the lampshades were designer.

"Turn around," Aaron said from behind me. I did as I was told, and I saw Aaron on the ground on one knee. I started to freeze up in my mind.

"I know things are complicated in our relationship," he began. "But I've never felt so strongly about you than I have anyone else. When I say I love you, I mean it. Sometimes I don't want to say 'I love you,' for it doesn't even capture what my heart feels."

He took my hand and continued. "Your heart, soul, and entire being is beautiful. I would be honored if you would stay here in the palace for the rest of your life with me. I know this is a lot to ask of you because with me, there are strings attached at all times. With me comes the responsibility of being Queen, but there's nobody else I want by my side leading this country."

"Elisa Carams, will you marry me?" He asked in a hopeful voice.

I was shocked. I loved Aaron, and I always knew he loved me, but I didn't know how strongly he felt about me. I swallowed and squeezed his hand. I brought him up off of his knee and pulled him close to me in a kiss.

I put everything I could ever feel into that kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck and tangled my hands in his hair. He hugged my waist, so we were as close as could be. When I pulled back from him, I felt tears on my face. "Of course I will."

"Good, because kneeling was becoming painful," he smiled. I laughed and kissed his lips again, smiling against his. "This is the Princess Suite. It last belonged to my mother, but that was for a short amount of time, so the decorations were all done by my grandmother. Now, I have something to show you."

He pulled a long box out of a drawer, as if it had been there forever. "A ring would be too revealing, so I had this made. Your necklace came off during the attack, so I found it in the rubble. I transformed it."

He opened the box for me to see a beautiful bird on the chain. It was my songbird necklace given to me by my Uncle Darry several months ago. "I didn't know your brother was alive, so he won't be getting his ring back. I used the metal from your family rings to re-craft the bird out of the special metal, also using that for the chain. I also used your mother's wedding ring diamond and put it in the center."

The bird was made of the special metal, and the beautiful white diamond was encircled by dozens of tiny amethysts, which were the same color of my eyes. I put my hand to my mouth that had fallen open. "Aaron," I said, my voice drifting off as I finished his name.

"Let's put it on, shall we?" He grinned. I smiled and pulled my hair up. He took off my necklace and set it aside while he connected the chair around my neck. I let my hair fall and turned back to him, a large smile on my face. I kissed him again and looked into his bright blue eyes. "I love you."

"I love you more than you know," I replied as I set a kiss on his cheek. He smiled back at me, and we made our way back into the ballroom. I gave him a smile as he returned to the dance floor to socialize.

It was then that I realized what I had done.