"I've Had Better Days"

We were on our way to another gig when I got the idea. I'd always wanted to drive it but I'd never had the guts to ask. I knew as soon as I got back to the pad though, I'd ask Peter then he'd ask Mike and see if it was alright. my big plan was: drive the Monkeemobile. I mean, who in this world wouldn't want to drive a groovy GTO like that? if they didn't I'd call them crazy. I was gonna go to Pete first and ask since he was probably gonna be the nicest and most understanding of the group about it. My chance to ask was now. when Davy Mike were upstairs fixing a window which they need all the luck they could get on, and Peter was tidying up the kitchen while Mickey practiced his drumset. I couldn't back out now. I took a deep breath and walked up to Peter. yes, asking to drive a car shouldn't be that big of a deal, or get me that nervous but this is the Monkeemobile we're talkin' about here. Michael would be furious if something were to happen to it. "Hey Jed!"  Pete used my nickname. "hey, I have a very serious question to ask you" I stated. "yeah?"  "well, I really like driving all sorts of muscle cars so I was wondering if I could perhaps take the Monkeemobile for a spin?"   "the GTO?"  I was gonna come up with some sarcastic remark and be like, 'no, the thunderbird!' but I thought better of it. instead I simply replied with a "yeah"  "I'll have to talk to Michael about it"  I smiled and sat down at the table as he walked upstairs calling, "Mike, Mike! I need to ask you a question!"

Mike came down the stairs a few moments later. "so ya wanna drive the Monkeemobile?" he asked when he was standing in front of me. "yep!" he raised an eyebrow and stared for awhile, making me uncomfortable. "you can drive it!" he said and waited for my reaction. "oh my gosh! really? thanks so much!"  I jumped into his arms and Peter made an angry face. I didn't care. I was really starting to like Michael. maybe more than Peter. there. I admitted it. Mike beat Pete on looks too. "what did ya think I was gonna say? you can't drive it? I trust you Jed"  I loved it when he used my nickname. he walked away for a minute and came back with the keys. he tossed them over and I grinned excitedly. "you're a good driver right?"  he questioned. I gave him a 'are you serious?' look and said, "I've driven Superbees and own a Thunderbird. I'm a dang good driver!" he winked and I left the house, headed for the Monkeemobile. I opened up the door to the car and climbed in to the leather seat which looked very classy. The interior looked like a true muscle car. I turned the key in the ignition and heard the engine roar as it came to life, gosh I loved that sound. I saw Mike through the window and got nervous realizing I had to drive like a pro otherwise I'd look like a lousy driver. I made up my mind as I turned a corner out of sight of the Monkees' house. Mike was my favorite. He's such an easygoing guy that gives me the vibe that he'd never hurt me. I'd really need to find a way to impress him so we could have a chance at being a couple. My thought were everywhere. I shoulda been paying more attention to the road because when I leaned down to put a love song on the radio and I crashed through a sign. it was just one of them yellow road signs with a squiggly arrow on it but it went through the windshield so far that I had to lean back so the sign wouldn't stab right through me. People in oncoming cars looked and I decided to wait for a police car to drive by. it was a good thirty minutes before that happened. he pulled up next to me and walked to the drivers side window and questioned me, "one of the Monkees?"   he looked disappointed when he saw I was a girl. "nope. they're letting me drive their car though"  "that's all good news but what are ya gonna do about this here accident you've happened to be a part of?"   "I was hoping you could help me with that. don't tell the guys though. they'd be furious. is there a way I can call a tow truck and get this thing to a repair shop or somewhere with quick service?"  "I can watch the car if you wanna go to a payphone and call a tow truck"  "I'll watch the car thank you very much"  "alright. I'll be right back, next time you see me, a tow truck should've arrived. I'm sorry this had to happen to you" "I've had better days" I said bluntly, and he drove off to a payphone.

It took many hours to repair the scratches on the hood and the broken and cracked windshield. when it was over the people at the repair place drove it our to me and I inspected it. nothing seemed different. I sighed in relief that the guys wouldn't notice what had happened. "thanks so much!" I exclaimed and ran to the drivers side, climbed in, and drove back to the pad.

sorry I didn't update in a couple days. we've been pretty busy with end of the school year parties and taking care of our new kitten. anyways, thanks for reading!:) hope ya liked it!  "Save the Texas Prairie Chicken!"