Come Sail Away

Peter played his harp quite a bit in the days that followed. I tried to get him to teach me, but for some reason he wouldn't. I think he just wanted to feel proud that he was the only one that could play it. After the events that occurred with Mr. Zero a couple days ago, I'd taken a liking to Michael. When he stood up to Mr. Zero he sounded so wise and his words touched my heart. the ones about how if you love to play music or a certain instrument, you can. nothing is holding you back if you have the love in your heart. I used to think if you couldn't sing very well, that you would never be able to. now I know that if you get voice lessons and it's really something you're passionate about, you'll accomplish it. as long as you're committed to something, good will always come out of it. the guys and I were just kinda chilling on the beach and I had brought my shoulder bag with the peace signs out. earlier I had stuffed it into the shoe bag and forgotten about it until now. my favorite pair of shades was in there. I wore pale blue bellbottoms with 80's style white flat tennis shoes and a black halter top with the Rollingstones logo on it. I wore my hippie headband thing that encircles the head, and my favorite pair of shades. the guys called me a super hippie when I even made some green tea for all of them and brought it out. Mickey made a face when he drank it and I laughed and drank all mine. we were all laying out on a blanket with our eyes closed, when I very quietly sat up and took a pack of joints out of my bag. I grabbed the lighter that I'd had for about a year and lit it. I took a few long drags on it and let them out. I gotta say, it could really calm ya down. I was just blowing out some smoke after a big long drag and Mike, who was laying next to me opened his eyes. "what are ya doing with that?" he asked loudly. the other guys sat up. "smoking" "stop!" he grabbed the joint from between my fingers and stabbed it into the sand. "what the heck was that for?" "that thing'll kill you!" he yelled back. Davy looked at me disapprovingly. "you guys can't stop me from smokin' a joint! if I wanna, I'm gonna!" Pete shook his head. I lit another and took a long drag. Michael who was usually really calm, gave me the angriest look I'd ever seen on him. Mickey said, "please put that thing out. it's not doing anything to help you, all it's doing is killing you. Mike just wants to help. we don't wanna see you die. can you please put the cigarette out?" "joint" I corrected him. "please put it out" he said in a really calm voice. I took one more drag and when I was about to stick it in the sand to put it out, Michael grabbed it and did it instead. "thanks" was all I said. I stayed there in the hurdlers stretch pose with one leg out and the other bent towards the other one creating a four. my iphone rang then. the song Come Sail Away by Styx played and I was surprised because there was no way I could be getting a call now. then remembered that I had it set for every notification that came along. I reached into the peace bag and pulled it out. "what's that?" Mickey asked. "it's from my house" I gave him a look so he wouldn't ask more. he was the only one I'd trusted with my secret of being from the year 2014. Mickey nodded and said, "I'm really digging this song. what is it?"  "Come Sail Away by Styx"  "that sports group?"  "no no no, they're not a sports group. I must've been distracted when I told ya that. they're a band!"  "I've never heard of them" Mike, David, and Peter all said. "well, you guys should get out more because they're really famous"  it feels weird sitting here talking about a famous band that doesn't even exist yet. I unlocked the phone and started the song over from my playlist. they all bopped their heads along to the music and I put on the lyric video for them so they could sing along. A few beach-goers that walked by us gave us strange looks but we didn't care. next they made me put on all the other Styx songs that I had on my playlist. needless to say, the sun was setting when we finally finished singing along.

Back at the house, the guys practiced the Styx songs on their instruments, and I, knowing the bass parts to a few, played along with them. it was the most groovy thing that had happened all day.

and that's it for another groovy day with the Monkees.

Thanks for reading everybody!:) I hope ya liked it. "save the Texas Prairie Chicken!"