CHAPTER 14

I woke up to find Othniel injecting medicines into the drip bag that hung above me. My mom was sitting on the bed and my body felt itchy.
I'd passed out after drinking the caffeine-filled Liven coffee from my Dad's mug and was rushed here by my mom whom I later heard found me laying lifelessly on the floor.

I had a long sleep and in that sleep, I dreamt about Spencer.
It's been 3 years since he died and I'd never dreamed of him till today.
He wore the blue striped sweatshirt my mom gave to me on my 12th birthday and we ran after a reindeer in the woods of an empty town I'd never been to until he disappeared and I woke up.
My mom was sobbing when I woke up. Her eyes were sore and her skin looked pale from exhaustion. She must've stayed up all night and didn't sleep properly, she had dark eye circles.

How did I think of doing something so dreadful without worrying about how my mom would feel if anything happens to me?
My Dad dropped by to clear the bills and also announce that he'd made a few calls in getting me transferred to a new school. A boarding school outside the town.

    "I don't want to go to another school", I said to my mom immediately after my Dad left.
" I want to stay in knowlton with my friend's mom".
"Come on Luka", my mom held my hand.
" it's just for a few months till you graduate son, I'll drive you there myself and make sure you have the best of."
"I don't want to go there", I cut in before remembering again how sad my mom looked earlier when I woke up. She was having her piece of the chaos and the least I should do was show her a little kindness, even if I was angry. I'd put her through so much already.

I hugged my mom and lay my head on her legs until I fell asleep again.
I missed a few school days and spent the whole weekend at the hospital until Monday morning when I finally got discharged.

My Dad requested a transfer later from knowlton and I was forced to stay within the four walls of our house while also preparing for my new school.
It was the first time I felt completely helpless, watching the hours pass by as I lay on the floor in my room.

My mom knocked on the door to tell me that kirah had come to see me and I was sure she thought kirah and me had a thing going on.

" your mom called to tell me about what happened". Kirah sat on the floor beside me.
"You've not been your normal self and she's worried, Luka".
" I know", I answered calmly and didn't say anything further.
Kirah helped me to pack up my things and we came across the photo of me and her on children's day in primary school.

I can't believe we've grown so apart.
" I thought we were going to live happily after I got the same bangle as you", I chuckled, and kirah put the photo away to give me a warm hug.
  She seemed genuinely sorry for me but didn't say much.
She only asked me to let her know if there was anything she could do to help. I had an idea.

My Dad would never let me be if I didn't make him believe I'd gotten over Ian so I decided to play a game of deceit, even with my mother.
I needed to get out of this prison and kirah was nice enough to help me execute my grand plan.
    I went about my normal chores and didn't act up or look sad. I didn't think my Dad would buy it but he did.
It was my last day in Bloomfield and I wanted to make it memorable for both my parents.
I woke up early that morning to help my mom with cooking and cleaning before getting set for my journey.
I picked up a few things that could fit into my pocket and broke my piggy bank to remove the money I'd saved up from my weekly allowance.
I'd asked my Dad for a chance to pray at the church for God's blessing before leaving and he gladly agreed to drop me off.
He left me alone in the church to supposedly commune with my creator and went to have a few words with some of the officials in our church and that was when I took my chance.
I dashed into the bathroom and sneaked through the back door. Ran as fast as I could until I came to the junction where kirah was waiting for me with a bike (bicycle).
I hopped on the sit behind kirah and drove away to the bus stop in knowlton. Ian was already waiting for me when we got there.
He must have sneaked out at lunchtime and I didn't want to imagine the hassle he went through to not get caught by school security or CCTV.