17- Unique Crystal

Start from the beginning

I deliberately said that so Mr Layne can know that he cannot control me. And I can do what I want. I am not their possession.

Jasper smiled back nervously and gathered his file and left.

After he left I looked at Mr Layne and asked, "You were saying something, Sir." He looked at me with a hint of ire and took a step closer.

I pointed to the door, signaling him that it's opened and my one scream can show him a 'very' good show.

He scowled and I walked back to my table and leaned on it, "You are violating our contract, Ms Beth." He hissed.

"How so? He talked to me and invited me. There's no talk about my personal information in between." I defended myself with a casual shrug.

He walked closer as I replied monotonously, "Watch your distance Mr Layne."

His eyes flashed in excitement to torment me for doing this and honestly, I was aware of the consequences but I was quite enjoying it, to embed the fact he couldn't manipulate anyone like they are his slaves.

"Were you saying something?" I asked, his fascinating eyes glistened in something unfathomable as he smiled vilely.

"I was hoping to drop you off at the orphanage since I was going home as well but it seems like you like it here. Enjoy your time here, Let me get some files for you to check and you are 'not' allowed to leave unless you complete them here." He ordered.

My smile faded when I heard it. He gave me a victorious look and left. "Asshole." I cursed him in my mind.

I heaved a sigh and put my hand over my forehead. I didn't want him to boast about a tiny shred of sympathy anyways. I can go there myself too.

As I was lost in thoughts, he came with a few files. He handed me hastily, almost causing them to fall as if he was in a hurry.

I raised my gaze furiously to see what was wrong with him to be in such a hurry.

"There you go, finish it." He said breathlessly and I was taken aback.

Chaining our gaze only to find that the heartbreaker has tears brimmed in his eyes. My smile faded when I looked at his eyes. Are they real?

Was he even capable of shedding a tear?

They looked so dolorous and exquisite at the same time. The tears present in his azure eyes shine like a crystal. My heart constricted. It felt like he was in intense pain but couldn't show it but no one could feel it, not even him.

'Were mine tears the same? Is that why he came? Beyond a physical attraction, were those my... tears?'

My lips slightly parted and I couldn't look away as his eyes bore into mine and nothing but those tears enticed me. And I reversed our roles, filled with amusement, I asked.

"What deluged you in sorrows?"

His eyes went wide as he quickly broke the gaze. I let out my breath which stopped at that moment. He pulled away quickly and wiped his eyes with his sleeves and was about to leave.

I stood up and suddenly said, almost to mock him, "What happened? Tell me, I am intrigued."

"Don't bother me." He muttered, averting his gaze, jaw clenched as I used his words on him.

"Why not, Dear?" I asked again, trying to suppress my snicker and enhance his fury.

"Am I not allowed to be intrigued by a unique crystal I just saw?" I teased, I didn't know what took over me as I found myself getting dazzled.

"No. You are nobody to involve yourself in my matter." He growled, barely upholding his façade, glancing from his shoulder, warning me to stop those ridiculous talks.

But-

'I felt the same when you tried to hurt my misery. When you broke my rhythm.'

Curious to wonder what brought tears to his eyes, I continued to tease him, "I can assure you won't regret it."

He stopped in his tracks. He emitted a deep breath and no matter how much he tried to hide the fact that he was depressed, he couldn't. How amusing.

He forced a smirk and turned to me, "Using my cards on me, hmm?" He jeered.

"Then satisfy my curiosity. What can raze a ruthless piece of flesh?" I asked with a feeble smirk but I failed to realize the ache of my words.

"A ruthless.. Piece of flesh?"

He was taken aback for a second and I stared deeply into those blue orbs hiding such mystifying emotions in them but he was disheartened.

"Is that what you consider me?" He asked sorrowfully as if hearing this from my lips hurt him.

For a second his murk cleared up and the urge to explore them aroused in me. I blinked, stunned by his sudden change of behavior, "Are you not?" I asked, not understanding his demeanor.

He turned and unbuttoned his coat and left saying in his usual deep voice which was colder than ice, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

"Finish these files and don't try to involve yourself with me."