fifteen - human in kadotaru

Start from the beginning

She feels sick. 

They're all going to need an answer when she returns. Saying yes would please everyone. Keep everyone safe. It would be Aramis wouldn't have a distraction. Vaxalan and his friends would stop returning as a way to mock their future Duahlin. 

But she doesn't love Percy, and probably never will. 

That's something she will have to sacrifice for the safety of her family. This can all be fixed with one simple yes. She opens her eyes, more tears rolling over her nose and dripping onto the roots beneath her. If only—

Something pops, making her flinch. Light pours into the room simultaneously with a scraping noise. She pushes herself against the wall, keeping herself curled up tight. Then three pairs of legs appear. Two green, and one purple. Defeat wracks her. 

"Is this seriously how you want to spend the day?" Vaxalan asks, stopping near the entrance. 

"Do you not take joy in this chaos anymore, dear prince?" Knell asks, the mockery in his tone so loud, you can't hear past it. 

"I just believe there are other ways that will not make us fall out of favour of my father."

"You have never been scared before," Haemal adds. "Why now?"

Vaxalan rolls his eyes. "Who are you to question me?"

Both of his friends snarl, putting distance between them. 

"That human insulted you, insulted us. We must get our revenge," Knell spits. "And if anyone is nearby, they will suffer the same fate."

Rinley stops breathing. She can't let them crossover. Can't let them out of her sight. 

"Besides, we remember her scent. Finding her will be easy, as will humiliating and killing her. You cannot say no to this, Vaxalan," Knell jeers. 

"Let us defend your honour," Haemal adds.

Rinley frowns. Scent? How can they not smell her now? Must be something to do with the portal majiiki that's washed her anew. That, or they're bluffing. 

"You are my closest friends," the prince says. "And I do not agree with your desires. However, I will not stop you."

Her jaw falls open. That son of a bitch.

Knell and Haemal cheer, reaching for Vaxalan, before moving to the table. Rinley scrambles to keep herself as close to the wall as possible. Things thud above her head, so loud that she has to cover her ears. Panic sets into her bones, and she makes a decision. 

They chatter nonsense as they near the portal. She's on the balls of her feet, muttering alucentio under her breath. Making sure her palms are free and directed towards them, she prepares herself to take on the weight of odenatis

"STOP!"

She falls back, landing hard on her tailbone. But she knows that voice. Aramis.

"Do not enter that portal, lest I bring the Duahlin and his Majesty in here," he growls. 

Knell, Haemal and Vaxalan step away from the portal. Rinley puts a hand to her heart. 

"Are you going to let him speak to us this way?" Knell asks, side glancing at Vaxalan. The crown prince says nothing. 

"Do not test me." Each word Aramis speaks has a newfound power, shaking the room. Rinley has never seen him this angry. Upset, maybe, but not angry. 

"Th-There is a human who has insulted Vaxalan," Haemal says, getting a nudge from Knell. "I—"

"No Jix, or Creature of Kadotaru, is to pass through to the human realm," Aramis sneers, taking a stark step towards them. Knell and Haemal flinch. "Unless instructed by King Malefic."