Chapter 8

Harry pretended not to notice the whispered praises and looks of admiration as he strolled through the Ministry of Magic but he also didn't care. If anything, it served as a reminder of why he had to leave. He wasn't a hero, he wasn't the legend that they made him out to be. If they only knew the choices that he made, how he barely managed to make it through if it weren't for Hermione, they would see him much differently.

He briskly walked through the halls until he came upon the Minister of Magic's office. Once the war had ended, the Minister position was taken by Kingsley Shacklebolt, a man that had Harry come to regard as an ally. He knew that Shacklebolt wouldn't hesitate to grant him an international portkey.

Harry knocked at the door before it swung open and granted him entry to the luxurious office. He admired the intricacies of the space before spotting Kingsley behind his desk. "Ahh hello Harry, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Kingsley regarded with a friendly smile while leaning back in his chair.

"Good to see you, Kingsley. I trust you've settled in well as the new Minister," Harry answered with a friendly smile of his own.

"Can't complain, it's been rough, but nothing I haven't prepared for," Kingsley remarked before gesturing towards the empty seat in front of his desk.

Harry took the seat quickly and once again regarded Kingsley.

"I trust that this isn't a social visit, Harry?"

"No, I'm actually here because I need an international portkey to France."

The wizard waited for the oncoming shock that Kingsley would react with but it never came. Instead the man looked inquiringly to him. "What for?" Kingsley calmly questioned.

"I figured that I need some time to travel and take a break from everything," explained Harry as his tone belied his tiredness.

Kingsley watched the young man with a soft look before nodding to him. The boy had ended the war at a mere seventeen years of age, he was owed some 'vacation' time.

"I'll contact the French Ministry and see if they won't grant you access to the country."

Harry stood up at this and reached over to shake Kingsley's hand before turning to leave the office.

He felt decidedly lighter once he left Kingsley's company, but that feeling quickly faded once he realized that he needed to get back to the Burrow. Hermione had been acting weird all day, it was as if she was trying her absolute best to avoid him at all costs. It was such a far cry from yesterday that Harry felt a bit hurt.

Once he stepped foot into one of the Ministry's fireplace, Harry quickly muttered out his destination before the telltale green flame scooped him up and spat him out into the Burrow in mere seconds. He stumbled a bit before regaining his balance to find the sitting room empty.

Not thinking too much of it, Harry went towards the kitchen to find the entirety of the Weasley Family staring at him. He barely had time to react before they peppered him with questions on how his trip to the ministry went. He managed to tell them that he was successful in getting the portkey, not missing Hermione's heartbroken look, and declared that he would be leaving at the end of the month if things went to plan.

Once Harry finished, Hermione shot out from her chair like a bat out of hell before sprinting up the stairs. The man was momentarily shocked before looking over to the Weasley's in question. While Ron, Ginny, George, and Arthur looked just as confused as he felt, Mrs. Weasley looked somber with a hint of resignation ringing her face.

"Dears, please give Harry and I the room," Molly commanded with a tone that brooked no room for argument.

Molly patted the seat next to her as the rest of the Weasleys scurried out of the kitchen and up the stairs. She still wore that same look on her face, and Harry became guarded in anticipation of what was to come.