Chapter 5

Once they finished their respective showers, Harry and Hermione were getting ready to leave for Diagon Alley. They gathered in front of the fireplace as Mrs. Weasley fussed over them with Ron and Ginny flanking them.

"Just be careful, both of you," Molly worriedly commanded.

Ron responded, "Mum, they'll be fine. Those two are the most formidable duelers I know."

Ron hadn't even offered to tag-along with Harry and Hermione because he couldn't bear the sight of seeing Fred and George's joke shop. The memory of his lost brother was still very much tender.

Ginny, on the other hand, had plans with Dean and was rather apathetic to Harry and Hermione's trip.

"We'll be fine, Mrs. Weasley," Harry placated before grabbing a handful of floo powder and stepping into the fireplace.

"Diagon Alley," he intoned before the telltale green flames enveloped and swept him away.

Hermione followed soon after and joined Harry in Diagon Alley after the flames spat her out right into the alley. She made to steady herself before feeling a strong arm secure her waist tightly. She knew immediately that it was Harry's and stumbled out her gratitude before his arm left her waist much too soon for her liking.

"Where first?" Harry asked as he walked beside her while ignoring the stares and whispers of all the shoppers around them.

Hermione knew from Harry's clenched jaw and stiff posture that he was beyond uncomfortable and made to take his hand in hers.

Harry felt Hermione's hand grab his and allowed her to hold onto his. Immediately, his tensions eased and he became more relaxed as he walked through the alley.

"We can get some traveling supplies first," Hermione called out from beside him.

He nodded and lead her to the store with his much larger hand still clasping hers.

Hermione relished the feeling of Harry guiding her along the path and couldn't contain the small smile on her face as she followed her best friend. She'd follow him to ends of the earth, she wryly thought.

Once they had finished up shopping for travel supplies, Hermione shrunk the goods and placed them into her bag. Harry had bought a trunk, a few enchanted maps, and a magical watch that adjusted to whatever time zone he would find himself in. Once Hermione finished shrinking the items, she took notice of Harry fiddling with the watch. She shook her head to herself and gently grabbed the watch before placing it around Harry's wrist.

"Thanks," he whispered while his trademarked lopsided grin showed across his face.

Hermione kept her hand on Harry's as she stared up at him. Her own smile adorned her face while she nodded at him. She was grateful for the time she spent with him and didn't want it to end. If she could somehow stay here forever, she would.

"Where next?" Harry's voice broke through Hermione's musings.

"Umm, we can probably see about getting you a new owl," Hermione softly said with trepidation. Hedwig, Harry's first owl, was a sore topic for him and she knew that she needed to approach this topic carefully. She didn't want to seem disrespectful to the memory of Hedwig, but she also needed to stay in contact with Harry.

"No," Harry flatly responded before turning away from her.

"Harry please, just listen," Hermione pleaded while she pulled at Harry's hand.

"I'm not getting a new owl, end of discussion."

The bushy haired girl grew aggravated and made to stand in front of her best friend. It looked quite comical as she stared up at his lengthy frame with her hands on her hips while he stared down at her.

"And how do you plan on keeping in contact with me?" Hermione asked with no absence of anger.

"I'll find a way, Hermione," he answered back with his own anger simmering.

The pair remained locked in their impromptu staring contest with neither budging from their position.

Harry didn't want to admit it, but Hermione looked incredibly sexy as she stared up at him in anger. He would trade everything in this world to be able to sweep her up in his arms and kiss her like his life depended on it, but he brushed the thought away. She was still Ron's.

"You are getting another owl, Harry Potter." Harry continued to look at her and tried to bite back a response only to find himself unable to say anything. He knew she only wanted to stay in contact with him but the memory of losing Hedwig was still raw in his mind. Nevertheless, he couldn't help but nod his acquiescence to her. She had an effect on him that he was still struggling to contain. It was also ridiculously attractive to be ordered around by her, he admitted mentally.

Hermione smiled brightly up at her companion before taking his hand in hers and leading him out the door.

Harry chuckled softly as Hermione quickly dragged him along the alleyway and admired the speed in which she pulled him along with. Gods he wished that he could spend forever like this, her and him on another adventure. He loved being with her, regardless of the circumstances.

The pair perused the owl emporium for a couple of minutes before one particular creature drew their attention. Harry took notice of a very feisty and aggressive owl that pecked at her cages over and over again. The tawny brown owl immediately calmed upon noticing him and cocked its head to the side in inquisitiveness, as if regarding whether he was friend or foe. Harry immediately fell in love with the owl once he noticed the bright golden brown eyes that bore a striking resemblance to Hermione's.

"She's beautiful, Harry," Hermione said from beside him.

Harry wanted to tell her that she looked just as beautiful but bit his tongue just in time. It wouldn't do for him to reveal his feelings to her now, if ever.

"This is the one," he proudly declared to her before gently grabbing the cage easily so as to not anger the clearly formidable owl.

The feisty owl immediately settled once Harry had her cage in his arms, as if she knew she was going to be free.

"What will you name her?" Hermione once again called from beside him, now once again holding his hand, a motion that Harry was immensely grateful for.

"Acantha,"

"A wonderful name, Harry," Hermione praised.

"Yes. Yes, it is."

Harry was grateful that she convinced him to buy Acantha because he now had a close reminder of the eyes that he had fallen in love with. It would hurt him, he knew, to be apart from her for so long but it was absolutely necessary. In all of their seven years together, they had scarcely left each other's side save for when Hermione was petrified in second year. Looking back, Harry thought, that was one of the miserable years of his life, though he didn't know why at the time.