Chapter 7

Once they returned to the Burrow, the pair were quickly sent off to bed by a very worried Mrs. Weasley. The Weasley matron was beyond peeved that they had stayed out after nightfall but let them off easy once they apologized quickly.

The next morning, Harry once again woke before Ron and left the room. He noticed that Hermione wasn't yet awake as he set off to begin his morning ablutions.

The warm water of the cascading shower provided refreshing comfort to Harry as his mind ran on the ever-approaching date of his departure. In a week's time, he'd set out far beyond the reaches of England and finally begin his journey of self-discovery. A large part of him couldn't wait for it, but a very persistent and pesky part constantly reminded him of what he would be losing once he left. He reminded himself that he already lost her and that there was nothing to gain but the words just wouldn't settle in his mind for whatever reason.

He exited the shower with this thought constantly plaguing his mind before he realized that he still needed to give Hermione her gift. He hoped against hope that the gift would provide some sort of closure for him when he left her. He needed that more than anything.

Quickly wrapping a towel around his waist, Harry mentally cursed himself for forgetting to bring a fresh change of clothes. While quidditch had done his body right, Harry still felt self-conscious due to the multitude of scars that were littered across it. He was told that at least twenty percent of his body was covered by scar tissue when Madam Pomfrey had performed tests on him after the war ended, a fact that disgusted him. Most of these scars weren't even from fighting Voldemort, he angrily thought, they were from his relatives who sought to beat the magic out of him.

The man let out an aggravated sigh before he opened the door to leave the bathroom and hurry back to change. However, he was greeted by the sight of a sleepy Hermione who immediately snapped into wakefulness at the sight of him. "Shit, 'Mione," he exclaimed as he jumped back in shock.

Hermione, for her part, could only admire Harry's still damp body. This was the last thing she expected to see but she certainly wasn't complaining. She didn't know how, but she managed to stop herself from running her hands across Harry's well defined abs and arms as he held the towel tighter around his waist. She admired the visible flex of his forearms before the realization of what she was doing hit her like a train. She was checking out her best friend again!

"Sorry," Hermione said with a high pitched squeak before rushing past Harry into the bathroom and shutting the door behind her.

The girl instantaneously sunk to her bottom as she sat and regained composure. The entire scene was very much too hot to handle for her, and the guilt of her actions came back in waves. She tried in vain to think of Ron but her traitorous mind did nothing but compare him to Harry. Eventually it got to the point where Hermione wondered what made her attracted to Ron in the first place because it certainly wasn't his body.

Hermione's confusion only continued even as she began her morning routine. She tried, and failed, to remember why she had chosen Ron over Harry. Certainly, Harry was the one who treated her with respect and kindness from the moment he met her. Certainly, Harry was the one who stuck by her side and defended her when he could. And certainly, Harry was the one with the body of a demigod. Thought that last part was more of the icing on the already large cake that was Harry.

Even now, as the confused girl stood under the cascading waterfall of the shower, she couldn't understand why Ron held such a place in her heart. Kissing him was fun and easy, sure, but her mind always felt as if something was missing. Nevermind the fact that they almost always had disagreements over the most trivial of matters when they weren't snogging. Come to think of it, apart from snogging, she scarcely remembered when last she had a meaningful conversation with Ron.

With Hermione still in the shower, Harry took the initiative to begin packing all of his belongings into his bags. He was halfway through the second bag when Hermione finally arrived downstairs with her hair still damp. Harry felt his breath catch as he looked at her but managed to steel himself as he continued his packing.

"You started without me?" He heard her ask from above his kneeling position.

"Yeah, I just wanted to get it done quickly so I don't have to worry about it," he easily replied without breaking from his motion.

Hermione knelt next to him and began to assist in his packing in response. The added closeness to Harry once again created very enigmatic reactions within Hermione and she found herself unable to concentrate. Instead, she admired the deft workings of Harry's hands as he worked to make space within the bag. She didn't know how long this had gone on, but Harry clearly noticed.

"Are you planning on helping?" Harry jokingly asked without looking up at her.

Hermione, despite her blush at being caught in the act, swatted Harry playfully before once again attempting to help.

The pair were nearly a quarter of the way through filling the third and final bag when Ron decided to make an appearance.

Harry silently pleaded for Ron not to try to give Hermione a good morning kiss but had no such luck. He was subjected to another punch to the gut when Hermione easily reciprocated the kiss. Barely containing his jealousy, the man resumed his packing albeit a bit more forcefully.

A half hour later, the bags were finally packed to the brim and Harry was one step closer to beginning his travels. All that was left was to secure an international portkey from the ministry before tying up the remaining loose end: his gift to Hermione.

Hermione, however, was not nearly as relieved as Harry was when the packing finished. The thought that Harry was almost ready to leave hit her like a truck. She had enjoyed her time with Harry yesterday, but she had forgotten that that may well be the last time she would ever share something like that with him again. It wasn't fair, she wanted nothing more than to beg him to stay, but she owed him this. Still, her heart felt like it was being ripped to shreds as she imagined a life without Harry Potter.

"That should do it, now I just need to take a trip down to the ministry," Harry gently told her, as if sensing her inner turmoil.

Hermione tried her best to fight back her tears but settled for a watery smile and nod as she looked at her best friend.

Harry was all too suddenly reminded of just how far he had come now. His commitment hadn't wavered but Hermione's tearful face was inciting a special type of anguish within him. It felt like his heart was once again being constricted by a serpent but he couldn't afford to waver now.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Hermione. Good night."