Chapter 4

Harry and Hermione had been at it for hours, but were nowhere close to finishing the packing. "Still think we need to make a trip to Diagon, Harry," Hermione softly said.

Harry groaned out in frustration, but he knew she was right. He was grossly underprepared for a worldwide trip, and he needed much more than just clothes to carry with him. Even then, he barely had enough clothes as it were.

"Ughhh, fine," Harry said rather petulantly.

Hermione giggled at the childish tone of her best friend before swatting him on the arm. He grunted out in fake hurt before breaking out in a full laugh. She quickly joined him before shifting closer to him such that their shoulders were touching.

Once the laughing had ceased, Hermione said, "it's going to be okay. It's just a short trip, we'll just pop in and get the necessities."

Harry nodded and quickly closed the only bag that they had managed to pack before turning to look at her. "Tomorrow then?"

She agreed all too quickly. Some more time spent with Harry was a blessing that she had no intention of questioning or denying.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow bright and early, Granger."

She watched as Harry rose from his kneeling position over the bag and stretched languidly. The grey t-shirt that he wore rode up his body to give her a peek of his toned abs and the small trail of hair that led below his waist, and the girl nearly choked on air at the very sight of it. What in Merlin's name was happening to her?

Harry, oblivious as ever, left the room and made his way to his bed. He was dreading the trip to Diagon Alley, but he figured it wouldn't be so bad with Hermione by his side. Besides, he wanted to spend a bit more time with her until he was due to leave. He was allowed to be just a bit selfish with her for now because she would be someone else's by the time he got back, if he even came back.

Hermione followed not too long after Harry and went to bed with a smile on her face. Her self-imposed anguish in Ginny's room earlier in the day had long been forgotten, and she was truly looking forward to spending the whole day with Harry tomorrow. She just needed to hope that Ron wouldn't want to tag along, but even if he did, she'd find a way to dissuade him. Tomorrow, nothing was going to stop her from regaining the familiar closeness that she shared with her best friend.
———
Harry and Hermione woke before anyone else, each with smiles on their faces. Harry, while dreading the trip, was all too happy to get some more time with Hermione. Hermione, however, was not dreading the trip at all. The girl couldn't wait to get out of the house and be walking the streets of the magical alley with her best friend.

Both of them exited their rooms at the same time and smiled at each other. "Hey," they said in unison before laughing softly. "You want to use the bathroom first?" They asked in unison again.

"We could just go together," Hermione breathed out before realizing what she had just said. She quickly blushed to the tips of her ears while Harry did the same.

Harry regained his composure first, and wiggled his eyebrows playfully at her. "Just to brush our teeth right?" He laughingly said.

She swatted his arm before squeaking out a barely audible affirmation. Sensing that her blush wouldn't cease if she kept staring at him, Hermione turned and headed to the bathroom with Harry softly following after her.

The pair stepped inside the bathroom and went to the sink to begin their morning rituals. Hermione didn't miss the ease in which they moved around each other, it was as if they had done this before. She watched as Harry towered over from behind, and almost forgot to brush her teeth. Still, she couldn't help but admire the generously tall frame of her best friend as he went about his rituals.

Almost too soon for her liking, they both had finished up. Harry made no move to leave, however, a fact that filled Hermione with joy. "I kind of want to shave first, but I can let you shower," he said from behind her as she watched him run his fingers across his stubble through the mirror.

"NO," Hermione said with a bit more force than intended. She quickly caught herself, "I mean, you can shave right now," she hurried out shyly. Harry nodded easily, and made to grab a razor while Hermione moved aside.

"Are you going to stay and watch?" He asked through the mirror.

"I'm sorry, do you want me to leave?" She replied with barely concealed hurt.

"No."

Harry began lathering his face with shaving cream as Hermione watched his hands gently knead and massaged the liquid onto his cheeks. Soon, his entire lower face was covered and he began to move the razor along his face.

"Wait," Hermione called out, again a bit more forcefully than she intended.

Harry cocked his head inquisitively to the side through the mirror, a look that she found absolutely attractive. She quickly beat those intrusive thoughts back before coming up behind Harry. "Let me do it," Hermione said confidently.

"What?"

"You did a terrible job of it when you were in the tent with me," Hermione added. In truth, he didn't do that bad of a job given the circumstances of the tent, but she needed an excuse to do this. She barely concealed her joy when Harry nodded and hastily accepted the proffered razor.

Hermione savored the feeling of Harry's sharp jaw in her small hands as she gently guided the razor over his face. She hated the fact that her neck was being strained from looking up to Harry's frame, and hopped up on the sink counter. The girl didn't miss the surprised look from him and was secretly grateful that he chose to say nothing. This was far more intimate than she would've liked to admit, but she found that she honestly didn't care.

Once her face was level with Harry's, Hermione quickly concentrated on clearing Harry's face of any stray hairs. Her nose scrunched up in concentration as she adjusted Harry's face to her liking and shaved any remaining spots. Soon, Harry's face was devoid of shaving cream and he was completely clean shaved.

"How does it feel?" She asked as he massaged along his face, feeling for any bumps or stray hairs.

"It feels like I need to add shaving me to the list of things you're good at," he finally said from in front of her.

Hermione giggled and hopped down from the counter before reaching up to caress Harry's cheek. She observed as he closed his eyes and almost leaned in to her touch and smiled at him. Hermione continued to bat away the voice in her head that told her that this was way more intimate than something between best friends and let her hand stroke his supple face.

"Thanks, Hermione. I'll let you shower first," Harry finally spoke before stepping back and exiting the room, leaving Hermione by herself.

A terrible sadness once again filled Hermione as Harry separated from her but she brushed it aside once more. She needed to get used to this because, soon, it was going to be an extended fixture. Letting out an exhausted sigh, Hermione stepped into the shower and allowed the warm water to wash away her worries and pain.