"Sorry, I was just zoned."

"It's okay. You good?" Maria looked partially concerned and Jess began to wonder why he hadn't sat with these two in a while. They always tried to include him in on the conversation and while he liked being quiet, actually being a part of things felt good. Ray and Alice usually ranted about games and anime which he didn't know much about so he didn't get to join in on their talks.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm alright now."

"Okay. I was asking you how you're liking the book." She said softly while picking a fry off Lia's plate. The red headed girl was used to that by now and just turned her attention to Jess so she could hear his answer.

These two had been inseparable since eighth grade and it was obvious why. Lia had a very relaxed demeanor and was too shy to talk all that much. Maria was relaxed as well but she could get hyper and she was usually the one to talk to new people or ask teachers questions.

"It's really good." Jess nodded. "I'm starting to wonder though, do they ever actually get togerher?"

Jess didn't like spoilers but in some situations they were okay. If it was a light spoiler, he could deal with it. Maria understood that and when they talked about books she often knew when was too much and what was alright to tell.

Lia nodded her head before Maria spoke. "Yeah they do."

"They're a really cute couple for people that only had less than a day." Lia said while eating some of the pickles she had mounted on her plate.

"Oh, sorry to totally change the subject but I heard from Ray that you and Zack are friends." Maria said. "I thought you hated them?"

"I hate Ki." He shook his head. "I kinda roped the others in with him. Isaac's cool though."

At that moment he took a bite of his muffin. It was blueberry and he was honestly glad Isaac decided to get him it. He was enjoying his lunch for once.

"Alright. I just had to confirm the rumor." She said and took another fry from Lia.

"Do you know Marco? He's a sophomore." Lia suddenly turned the attention to her. She was looking at Jess.

"Uh, yeah, I think so. Why?"

"I'm sorta friends with him. We talk in multimedia, and he's been getting shit from some of the athletic kids. I think it's mostly that Wyatt guy but the other day they tripped him in the hall and he hit his locker, then laughed it off and said he should be more careful. He had a pretty big bruise on his arm." She talked softly, no one other than the two near her would've heard what she said. Jess thought back to that day in Algebra class. Wyatt telling Ki about some scrawny kid trying to join baseball. So that's who he was talking about. Jess felt his blood boil.

"That's fucked up."

Lia nodded and Maria looked concerned. "Is he okay?"

"He says he's dealing with it. I just thought since you said your friends with Zack maybe be careful. I know you say he's cool but he's friends with them and I'm not sure who all is in on it. Better safe than sorry."

"Yeah, thanks Lia, I will." Jess gave her a soft smile and she smiled back.

Their conversation came to a hold when somebody tripped in the cafeteria. The whole place gasped and everyone looked over. By the table where most of the athletic kids sat, Marco stood with a tray in his hands. In front of him was Wyatt, covered in chocolate milk and the enchiladas they were serving that day.

"Oh shit man. I guess I gotta be more careful." Marco's voice came out coolly. Wyatt looked livid.

Marco continued to walk and dumped the Styrofoam tray in the trash. He walked back over to his friends' table with his head held high. When he walked by Wyatt, who was still sitting and looking a little shocked but also pissed, he smirked.