"—is guilty." I looked up to see the judge slam the gavel, the sound of wood echoing through the walls. His eyes met mine and he gave me a small smile before standing up.

When the words sunk in, a complete sense of relief washed over me as my shoulders sagged against the back of the seat. Imara squeezed my hand, whispering the word congratulations in my ear before she gave my forehead a light kiss. I looked up and I was surprised to see her eyes sheened lightly with tears as she gave me a smile.

I stood up and was ready to turn around to face Charles when hands landed on my hips. He was already behind me. I didn't hesitate to wrap my arms over his shoulders as I pulled his body closer to mine, the physical affection being the key to letting my emotions out as I felt tears slide down my cheeks.

"I'm so proud of you, Nova." He whispered against my ear, one of his hands moving up and down soothingly on my back. "I'm so proud of you." He repeated as I sobbed against his neck.

I didn't let go of him for the next few seconds. It felt so good to have someone hold me and just let me breathe out all of the pent-up emotions.

It was done. I didn't let my eyes move toward Manuele's direction as I heard the sounds of handcuffs being placed on him, feeling satisfied that he was going to spend the next ten years behind bars. If it were up to me, I would've given him more, but right now, I'll take what I can get.

I hope ten years was enough for him to change.

*****

November 6, 2025 - Monaco

"Tired?" Charles asked, hand wrapped around my waist as we both rode the elevator. We just got back from Italy, my body already craving the soft feeling of a bed. I nodded my head, leaning on his shoulder as we waited for the elevator to stop on his floor since he said he had to get a change of clothes. A few seconds later, we were about to cross his front door when Charles stopped me. "Wait." He said, eyes glancing nervously at his apartment.

"What's going on?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"I may have done something." He trailed off and I continued to look at him. When he didn't explain further, I moved past him and walked into the apartment.

My eyes landed on the pile of unfolded boxes laying on his living room floor. There was still a plastic wrapper around it, telling me that the package wasn't touched. I glanced behind me, utterly confused as to why he had so many boxes. "Are you having a garage sale or something?" I asked him, dropping my bag on one of his small tables and taking a seat on the couch. "Because if you are, I know a few clothing items of yours that you can say goodbye to."

I felt his coat hit the back of my head as I laughed at him. When I removed it, he was standing in front of me, feet nudging the pile of boxes. "Don't mock my style, Nova."

"I will do no such thing until you tell me what's going on." I held my ground and crossed my arms over my chest, patiently waiting for him. Honestly, all I wanted was to jump on the bed because he was taking too long to explain, but I know if I did that, he'd only delay it even more. 

"I was thinking–" 

"I'm glad you're using your brain to think." The words spilled out of my mouth naturally and Charles rolled his eyes before copying my position. 

"Will you please shut up?" I giggled and waved a hand for him to continue, entertaining myself at another verbal sparring between us. "As I was saying, before you rudely interrupted me and insulted my cognitive thinking." 

"Big word." 

"Nova." He groaned, raising his hands up in surrender before collapsing on the space beside me on the couch, his face against one of the cushions.