Chapter 48

This is a pretty light chapter and we're going to experience more time jumps for the following ones :) 

Enjoy!

*****

August 17, 2025 - France

"You know there's no coming back from this, right?" I raised an eyebrow at him as his hands moved to grab my waist.

"I know."

"You're stuck with me forever."

"Are you hinting at a proposal right now? I know I said I'd start a relationship with you, but I need baby steps."

"You're the one talking about marriage and babies. Is that taking it slow?" I challenged back, a smile creeping onto my face. I missed this— the back-and-forth banter that he always manages to match me with.

"God, you're fucking infuriating." He said, grabbing the back of my neck and slamming his lips onto mine. I found myself getting lost in him, the lack of physical contact between us catching up. Every touch felt like a new memory pops up and every whisper of I love you was music to my ears.

"But?" I whispered, smiling against his lips.

"But you're also the love of my life, so infuriate me all you want."

When the door unlocked a few hours later and Max greeted us with a shining grin, I almost broke my facade. We decided to mess with him which involved acting like we hadn't patched things up and it even got worse between us.

The satisfaction soared high when Max's lips turned into a deep frown upon seeing my stoic face and the frustration on Charles's.

"Please don't kill me." Max immediately said, raising his hands up as he walked backward until he was beside Gabby. She was glancing at us, eyes moving from me to Charles before smirking at me. I gave a subtle nod of my head before turning my glare to Max. "It was Daniel's idea."

"No, it wasn't!" Daniel immediately replied, fear evident in his eyes. "Nads, I adore you and I would never do anything like that to you. If you wanna take revenge on Max, you should know he hates spiders and screams like a little girl when he sees them."

"Mate, shut up!"

I couldn't help it anymore and a laugh escaped my lips as I doubled over, one of my hands placed around my stomach. I heard Charles chuckle behind me before I felt his hands on my hips. I wiped the corner of my eye, smiling at him before turning to our friends. When I saw the ear-splitting grins on their faces, I rolled my eyes. "I don't want to hear it." I said, moving past them towards the kitchen.

I was starving and Daniel's chips were not enough. I opened a tupperware that contained warm pasta so this must've been their leftovers from the restaurant. Ten minutes later, Charles waltzed in and stole the piece of pasta on my fork before standing behind me, arms wrapping around my waist.

"You sacrificed me out there." He whispered against my neck and I laughed at him. I felt his body shake in laughter as well, hands squeezing my hips.

"I'm guessing Gabby was the worst?"

"Your best friend holds the potential for murder. She painted a very descriptive image of my future if I messed with you again." I couldn't help but shake my head at Gabby and the slight ounce of fear in his voice. I remember how she was when I came back from Hungary and I fear that Charles would run away from me if I repeat the words to him. "Can I have some of that?" He asked and I lifted the fork to his lips.

"So, what now?" I asked after we ate in silence. He kept his arms around me the entire time while my free hand settled on top of his.

"Now, we sleep." He replied, planting a soft kiss on my hair before placing another one by the side of my head.