2. A Christmas Reunion (Pt. 2)

"He can't have gone that far, Aussie. We'll find him," Canada smiled gently, patting his brother's arm.

"Will you help me look, Maple?" Australia asked, eyes darting around the cavernous room in search of Stuart, his beloved pet spider.

"Of course! In fact, we all will."

"Will we?!" UK screeched, pulling her legs closer to her chest and hiding behind an overlarge pillow that had previously been used as a floppy beanbag for when Ame was a toddler and had an obsession with flopping onto pillows for no apparent reason.

"Yes, we are!" France answered forcefully, yanking the pillow away from her melodramatic wife.

"But-"

"He won't kill you; his bites aren't fatal, I promise!" Aussie pleaded.

"Yes. Very Reassuring. Thanks."

"Please..."

"Alright..." Brit succumbed to her son's desperation, tentatively reaching a foot down to the floor.

With that, the family split up, with UK, US and France keeping an eye downstairs and Aussie, New Zealand and Canada dealing with the bedrooms upstairs. It took hours before any news was heard, by which time, Aussie had resigned to the fact Stuart would never return, curling up in a hopeless ball in the middle of the bathroom floor.

"I'll miss him," Aus sighed, brushing away a tear from his cheek.

"Don't worry, mate," Zea comforted her brother, though not quite sure what to say to console him, "I'm sure your other pets'll keep you-"

"AAGHHHH!"

"-company... You might be in luck though, judging by that racket..."

Hoping beyond hope that the others had rescued Stuart, Australia leapt down the stairs, racing into the kitchen, Maple and Kiwi in tow. Sure enough, France was stood on the table, straining to reach a confused-looking, black, fluffy tarantula, who appeared to be rather enjoying the attention. Meanwhile, US was stood opposite, frowning slightly and trying to convince his other mother to stop hiding behind him and squeezing him so hard he could barely breathe.

"Nearly...there..." France panted, finally grabbing Stuart and handing him back to a delighted Aussie, a smirk of triumph illuminating her face.

Cautiously, UK let go of Ame, who breathed a sigh of relief and straightened his sweat-coated sunglasses. New ones, he made the point of demonstrating to his siblings as the four left the house the next day.

"They look the same as your other pairs, though," Maple pointed out, giggling at his older brother's enthusiasm.

"Hey!"

"Sorry."

"Should I drive back?" Kiwi asked Aussie, ignoring Ame and Nada's antics.

"Yeah, thanks, mate!" Aussie grinned back, opening the passenger door and clambering inside.

***

Pulling into the driveway of their house, the pair relievedly began collecting up their gifts and belongings, until Aussie paused, awkwardly tapping his sister on the shoulder.

"Kiwi?" he muttered.

"Yeah?"

"I left Stuart with Mum and Maman again..."

***

"AAGHHH! IT'S THE DEVIL ON MY PILLOW!" Brit shrieked, jumping into France's arms, shaking uncontrollably.

"DARLING, CALM DOWN!" France yelled, dropping UK in frustration.

"IT WANTS TO EAT ME!"

"IT'S FINE!"