𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐟𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭

▶️ after the storm - kali uchis

xxiii. FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT

~~~~~

ARRIVING AT THE CAPITOL FELT ALL TOO FAMILIAR for Thea; she thought back to when she was a tribute, not really taking anything seriously. So when Maxwell stepped off the train, she made sure to keep him in line and stop him from doing something he might regret. Anything and everything he does now will affect him later on in the games.

The mentors were standing in the stables, waiting for their tributes to emerge with their stylists. When Thea heard that Cicero was styling her tribute this year, she was more than excited. She observed the Career tributes for this year; their outfits were absolutely horrific, though they retained the same intensity as last year. Thea didn't know what was up with the outfits, this year, she knew Cicero would pull through but the other districts just seemed to lack inspiration. "THEE-THEE!" the familiar crazed voice of Cicero sounded like a foghorn, resonating throughout the stables. Upon hearing his voice, she turned and trotted to him, embracing the stylist in a hug.

He looked the same, even wore the same blue headpiece as last year which brought memories back for the girl, but it was comforting if anything. "Look at your tribute, Thee-Thee! Isn't he perfect?" he ushered Thea to Maxwell, expecting bundles and bouquets of compliments, and if the redhead had learnt anything, she planned to bathe him in compliments as if it were Christmas. "Oh my lord, Cicero you've done it again. Absolutely outdone yourself. I love it!" said Thea, rubbing the man's shoulders as she looked at Maxwell. Cicero did seem to stick with the Poseidon theme as Maxwell wore an ombre green scale-plated cuirass with a matching faded maroon armour skirt. Lining the collarbone was a gold trim which was also used for shoulder plates. On his forearms and shins were a green and orange shields. Because of the simplicity to the outfit, Thea assumed that Cordelia would match. And she was right.

Cordelia came out wearing a matching cuirass and armour skirt, though it was altered to have a much more feminine look (aka show a little more skin) as well as some gold jewellery and headpieces. "Ugh, if Lav wasn't such a bad stylist, maybe I could've made Max look better than you, Thea. And that's near impossible," Cicero huffed, glaring at Cordelia's stylist, Lav. She was one of the newer stylist, meaning she should've been assigned to the outlier districts, though she requested District Four like basically everyone else. Thea snorted as she bid Cicero goodbye and made her way up to Maxwell. Dennis had already started talking to him, so they had to fill her in before she could spare any advice, "I was just telling him to either be cold, makes him look like a mystery, or to engage with the crowds. Any input, Little Rock?" his voice was gruff, yet sober, which was definitely refreshing. "Uhm- I say interact with the crowds. Blow kisses, wave, all that because by the end of this you will have about fifty sponsors lining up for you," Dennis nodded, agreeing with the girl as Maxwell mentally noted her words. "Okay, anything else?" Max looked between the two, unsure of his next moves though he tried to ready his "give zero shits" attitude. Dennis actually had something useful to say, which surprised Thea, "Hold Cordelia's hand. Show them you're a team."