𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮

▶️ money, power, glory - lana del

iii. ALL EYES ON YOU

~~~~

ALL EYES WERE ON HER. It was the day of the reaping and it was no secret that Thea intended to volunteer, even her little brother knew. He didn't really understand what that meant but he was still, nonetheless, happy for her.

Julia had laid out a dress for Thea to wear. It was the same as last year. A washed-out sage-green smock dress with a matching belt that accentuated her curves. It worked perfectly with her fiery hair; it almost balanced out the rage. She looked in the mirror, admiring the ocean behind her rather than focusing on her own appearance. Her mother and her little brother sauntered in a solemn yet proud look upon her face. As for Aster, the boy was beaming. He was excited to see his sister bring pride for their district. His eyes lit up even further when he noticed she wore the necklace he gave her.

"You look beautiful, sweetie," Julia smiled, not wanting to let her little girl go. She let tears build, knowing that her daughter will be going to the Capitol and she will be killing other tributes in order to survive. But she will bring pride to District Four, she will bring pride to the Spencer name. She will bring pride to her father. "Thanks, mom," it was as if she lost all her anger by wearing the neutral-coloured dress. Aster ran up to his sister, wrapping his arms around Thea's lower back because he could not yet reach her shoulders.

"Good luck, Thee," his smile was so innocent and pure, it made her almost not want to volunteer. But what would all that work she put in be for? Thirteen years of drills, sparring and survival. All led up to the next twenty minutes. The trio sat on their couch, awaiting the voices from the megaphone to beckon them to the city centre. No words were exchanged while they all sat, hand-in-hand. Thea breathed in the sandalwood and sea-salt in the air, trying to remember it before the Capitol cleans her lungs out, much like with Dennis.

Thea had an advantage on all the other Districts. That being that District Four was on the west coast, meaning everyone else had to be reaped before she could. It gave her more time to prepare, but also to see the other districts crumble under the stress.

"The citizens of District Four, please report to the Plaza for the Reaping. The citizens of District Four, please report to the Plaza for the Reaping," the voice on the megaphone echoed throughout the district. That's when the trio stood up, their hands still laced with one another. Thea broke the silence with her attempt at lightening the mood, "Take two," she sighed, looking at the two.

On the way to the Plaza, Thea could make out the trembling twelve-year-olds, grasping onto their mothers as if it would stop death from following them. She could also make out the grateful eighteen-year old girls, cheering that they've escaped death, knowing that Thea would take their place; much like a year ago where they praised her on the way to the Plaza. It just meant that death would follow Thea. She also managed to make out the victors, sauntering onto the stage, knowing two unlucky souls were to be plucked once again, much like them. She couldn't see Finnick on stage, which was odd because he was most definitely mentoring this year. But she could see Dennis, which eased the nerves that slowly came onto her.