Chapter 24: "Karma Is A Bit*h"

Start from the beginning

"We're sorry for bullying you, please!"

The hall's lights dimmed instantly, causing most of the terrified students to scream.

From nowhere, a voice spoke up through the microphone, capturing everyone's attention. "Once upon a time, a young boy's dream was shattered in this school."

A hush fell over us as the strange narrative continued. Fear gripped us; some trembled, while others, like myself, exchanged bewildered looks.

I joined the throng of students reaching for their phones, hastily activating our flashlight apps. The feeble beams of light revealed a male figure on the stage.

The lights came back on, bathing the hall in a steady glow. Before us stood Kelvin Cooper—I recognized his face from the photograph. In his right hand, he tightly gripped a knife, creating uncertainty and fear among us.

"For the many who don't know me, my name is Kelvin Cooper. I was a student here two years ago," he said as he began to walk up and down the stage. "Those who know me would say I left the school out of embarrassment for stealing exam papers."

He ran his hand over his face, sobbing. "It was all made up! I was framed! I was innocent, but nobody, not even those who act like they're the saints," he looked at Victoria, "believed me."

He started to weep bitterly. "My father died of a heart attack when he found out I had disgraced him. A disgrace that I didn't even commit! I didn't get the chance to explain to him that I was framed!"

Whispers and murmurs filled the auditorium as Kelvin's revelation sunk in. I awaited patiently for his next words.

"What did I do wrong? Was it my fault to witness a murder? Huh? Was it my fault?"

Witnessed a murder? Gideon didn't tell us that part when he was confessing to framing Kelvin Cooper.

"I'm here today not just for my sake, but to get justice for a weaker person like me who lost her life at the hands of my perpetrators," Kelvin sniffed the blade of the knife and added, "You wanna know who I'm talking about? Ask Gideon Vanderbilt."

I turned to where Gideon was seated, but he wasn't there. Squinting, I searched until I spotted him shuddering and cowering beneath his chair.

"Gideon, come out," Kelvin voice called, pacing menacingly while tapping a knife against their palm. "Don't be a coward!"

"Please forgive me. I beg you," Gideon pleaded as he emerged from under the chair. "Please!"

"You don't have to apologize," Kelvin said. "You're not at fault. Henry Miller used you, knowing how desperate you were to reclaim your position as the class topper."

The mention of Henry's name sparked confusion among the entire gathering.

Henry shot up from his seat, his face contorted with rage. "What nonsense is that! Don't you dare drag my name into this!"

"Why? Are you scared that everyone will know Pearl Adams didn't commit suicide, but rather you murdered her?"

Kelvin's words bounced in my ears like a broken record. Tears blurred my vision, mingling with the chaos around me. I felt as though my heart had shattered into a million pieces.

"Are you insane? I'm not a murderer!" Henry's voice boomed. "Tell them, Gideon, tell them it's not true. Tell them Pearl took her own life."

"No!" Gideon screamed, covering his ears. "You killed Pearl, Henry. I was there. And that's why you fooled me into framing Kelvin for stealing the exam papers. You said if Kelvin doesn't leave the school, he'd report not only you but me too, since I could've helped Pearl, but..." He broke down, "Pearl begged me for help, but I stood by and did nothing because a part of me wanted her out of the way, for taking my place as the class topper."

I listened to it all in stunned silence. My heart raced, hands trembling, and lips quivering.

"Yes, Dad, that's true!" Gideon turned to face a man in an executive outfit. "I watched someone die, and it's all because of you. You made me feel worthless when Pearl Adams took my position. You caused me sleepless nights. I've spent two years of my life with regrets."

I mustered all my strength, rising to my feet. With a fierce blow, I marched over to Henry's seat and struck him hard. "You killed my sister! I'll make you pay!"

Then, darkness engulfed me as I collapsed onto the tiled floor, the last thing I heard being voices calling for help.

My eyelids fluttered open to the sterile surroundings of a hospital ward. Victoria and Jayden were by my bedside, their faces carved with concern. They helped me sit up, and I told them my hidden identity—I was Emma Adams, Pearl's sister, and I had come to find out the truth behind her death. Mr. Wilmer, whom I had met at one point, had decided to help me and even legally adopted me as his daughter.

In a tearful embrace, Jayden, Victoria, and I turned toward the television screen in the room, listening as the news anchor made the announcement:

"Following the events at Bel-Air's Hill Academy today, the school has been shut down for a week by the authorities. Investigations are underway regarding the bullying and injustices suffered by Kelvin Cooper, as well as the death of Pearl Adams two years ago. The police have vowed to ensure that the culprits are brought to justice, and those responsible will face imprisonment if found guilty. Stay tuned to News Channel Eight for all the latest updates..."