Athanasia flashed a small smile, "I'll be fine, Lucas..."

"I've thought of it carefully" is what she said, but she's been strangely silent for the past few days... Lucas sighed as he teleported in front of the ballroom, the banquet's being held. Unfortunately, due to Claude's nagging and Athanasia's weird actions for the past few days.

He's worried about everyone and he's not even paid enough to do so. Do they think living in the Palace was good enough? Lucas only sighed as he glanced at Claude who's sitting so confidently in his throne. Despite not being paid enough, a certain girl would probably die without him.

Afterall, the girl dies everytime he's far away from her.

"Lucas?" speak of the devil, Lucas turned around and saw Athanasia smiling. Somehow, the girl's expression brightened and it wasn't his imagination. "You're here!"

Actions like these are what's going to put me in trouble in the future.

"I'm forced to be here," said Lucas who crossed his arms. When he heard Athanasia chuckle, Lucas only sighed and patted the princess' head. "You're quite happy."

"I get to see Papa in official clothes, that's not usual." she giggled as she pointed at Claude and Felix. The red-head was scolding the latter for ruining his suit, while the other only sat silently and had an expression like he's being maltreated. "Felix is also scolding Papa too."

"You don't see that everyday," he commented as he almost laughed at the Emperor's expression. It's actually more of like a child's face when their mother nags them.

"I greet Princess Athanasia of Obelia."

The both of them turned around. Lucas noticed it, of course he will. It's evident by how her mana suddenly changed its flow. Instead of an innocent and laughing expression, it turned to a fake one.

"Jennette!" enthusiastically, Athanasia wrapped her arms around the brunette. Nobles might think of this as a cute scene, however, for Lucas... Well, it was a nightmare. "Lucas, this is Jennette. One of my friends that I made during the debutante ball." Athanasia put off a close-eyed smile that enticed many.

"It's nice... to meet you, Lady Patterson." Lucas tried his best to not show his indifference to the lady that's he really don't see as a human. He can still remember how the girl glare at Athanasia before they reversed the time.

Jennette tilted her head, "Oh? You know my family name?"

"I told Lucas, Jennette." Athanasia giggled. "You don't mind, right?"

Please get me out of here... Lucas silently groaned as he watched the two get along so well. He can't help but stare at Athanasia who's really doing nicely at faking her emotions. Truly, he can't help but be in awe at the new things he learn from Athanasia.

"Jennette, can't you visit me in the Palace? I promise I'll have Papa allow you to do so," Athanasia suddenly inquired, putting the cutesy act up while she interacted with Jennette. Lucas can notice the way the brunette shifted at Athanasia's gaze, but instead of uncomfort, there was happiness. "Will you?"

"Well, you're the only one who have invited me to something yet..." Jennette murmured, as if she was sharing a secret "If His Majesty is alright with it, then I'll surely come."

The two continued conversing, totally forgetting Lucas who's really close at Athanasia. It was as if he was shielding the princess. Nobles have started to whisper and glance at the two ladies.

Lucas scanned his gaze around the ballroom. Everyone was eyeing the two of them, and Lucas knew it's about how the two are great friends. It's an unusual pair, because everyone knows the eerie hatred the Emperor bears with the Viscount. They don't know why, but maybe it was because of how the Viscount looked like the Emperor's dead older brother and how he acted like the tyrant.

Viscount Patterson was a normal man, but he have attended many meetings that's exclusive for those family roots go way back when the Empire was founded, or simply prestige and full of money. However, the Viscount was competent unlike the Former Emperor. He's good at making money, with great connections everywhere he went. Claude should take him under him, but he knows the truth more than anyone.

As Lucas and Claude planned deeper on how to take revenge in more ways than one— they even considered bombing the borders to create war that'll force Patterson to take action since his properties and his main manor are near the border— but soon realized that not moving is the best way to approach it. Claude said that masked predator will hunt its prey, not knowing the situation can be twisted and the predator will be the prey instead.

In other words, they're waiting for them to attack and be fools  themselves. Killing themselves with their own weapons.

"Athanasia,"

The young lady turned her head to the side and frowned at Lucas' sudden call. "What is it?"

"I'll be leaving now."

Don't die...