32 curbside confessions

"Hey," you greet, situating yourself next to Scara on the curb right outside the bustling bar Childe rented. The music leaked out so the low thrumming of the bass surrounded you as he gave you a nod.

"The show went well, right?" he hums.

"Yeah, your mom even witnessed it," you say.

"You know who my mom is?" he questions.

"See...that's what I wanted to tell you," you hastily start, "I sort of sent her an email asking her to come."

Scaramouche doesn't immediately reply, nodding his head and tilting the beer can down his lips. His gaze was distant as you both sit in silence.

"Didn't know it would take a friend to get her to come see me," he states, placing the now empty beer can on the sidewalk.

"Are you upset?" you tentatively ask.

"No," he sighs, "I'm just surprised you'd go to that length for me. She said she's going to let me pursue acting because of you."

"So, I did good?"

He chuckles, "Yeah, you did good."

You let out a sign of relief, "Good, I was scared you were going to blow up on me."

"I wouldn't do that...well to you at least."

You hide the heat of your cheeks, shaking the Kuromi bouquet right next to his face, "Look what I got today!"

He raises his brow and looks over to you, "You like it?"

"Yeah, but I wish I knew who got it for me. It's adorable."

He stares at you, lips in a thin line for a mere minute before he looks at you with the most quizzical stare.

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?"

You laugh, shrugging, "It's a mystery I guess."

He lets out a frustrated growl before snatching the bouquet from you, causing you to put your palms up against him in defense stance.

"If you wanted it that bad you just had to ask..." you murmur as Scaramouche digs through the bouquet, pulling out something tucked behind the Kuromi plush.

"Here's the card," he grumbles, handing the bouquet and card back to you, making a move to grab his discarded beer can and get up. Before he can make a getaway though you grab the hem of his sweatshirt, a sly smirk on your face as you wave the card in front of him.

"It's from you?"

"Obviously, idiot. But I don't want to be here when you read it," he mumbles, trying to pull his hand away from you as you fumble your way into opening the card with your one free hand.

He begrudgingly sits back down as your tear the card open.

"You know how aggravating it was waiting all day for you to bring it up only to find out you were too dense to even find the card?"

"Did you want me to thank you that badly?" you laugh, eyes glazing over the card before realizing the actual message.

"Oh."

Oh.

Scaramouche doesn't reply, staring down into the gravel of the parking lot as you let a smile grow on your face beside him.

"You...like me? Like...romantically?"

He rolls his eyes, "I'm not repeating it."

You nudge him with your shoulder, "This card is real emotional for someone as grim as you."